Withdrawal from what?

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Claytonmomof2
option_firstname:

Withdrawal from what?

Post by Claytonmomof2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Due to circumstances, my AH did not spend Christmas with us. He spent it with his family out of town, which I felt was a positive thing since he opted to not spend Christmas with his enablers/users he's currently residing with. His family says he was going through withdrawals while he was there for four days. I have had very little contact with him in recent weeks, so at this point I have no idea what he's on. I knew previously he had been using mostly Rx pain pills - Percocet mostly and also some cocaine/liquor. His withdrawal symptoms were fever, chills, insomnia and vomiting. Curious what he was withdrawing from...are withdrawal symptoms different for each person?

I know that if he's an active user it really doesn't matter what he's actively using...just that he's active. I guess for me to know what he's up against could be helpful.

marieno
option_firstname:

Re: Withdrawal from what?

Post by marieno » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Those are classic opiate withdrawal symptoms.

Claytonmomof2
option_firstname:

Post by Claytonmomof2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 am

Are there any differences between heroin withdrawal and Percocet or Oxy withdrawal?

grateful
option_firstname:

Post by grateful » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am

Regardless of what he is withdrawing from, there is little we can do from a distance or even up close & personal. It is dangerous to withdraw from drugs outside of a medical community skilled to help a patient during the withdrawal phase. Other than to suggest medical help if his family is asking you for your input on this, is there anything else you can do or are you powerless over him and the natural consequences of his drug choice & withdrawal choice? In my experience, withdrawing my attention from my ALOs and placing it on myself and what I needed to do to take good care of myself was very challenging (and can still be), but was necessary for my wellbeing. As much as I wanted to rescue my loved ones from their choices and the consequences of those choices, I couldn't do it. I had to learn how to save myself from constant anxiety and the physical maladies that that anxiety produced.
Seek beauty

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Post by vscook » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I agree that it really doesn't matter WHAT he is using. The fact that he was in withdrawal shows that he was/is using. That's his hula hoop. Yours is what you can control - your thoughts, beliefs, feeling, actions & reactions. Keep coming back!
Last edited by vscook on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

MarieW
option_firstname:

Post by MarieW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

There are other sites that explain the physical aspects of addiction and recovery. Here we try to keep the focus on us.

My son's drug of choice is heroin, but he will take anything he can get. What he takes doesn't really matter to me. My boundaries are the same regardless. Whenever I get that overwhelming urge to "know" what my son is up to, I double down on my program.

Keep coming back.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.

Jade11
option_firstname:

Post by Jade11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm not 100% sure what my AH is using. I know his drug of choice is cocaine... however, over the years there's been alcohol, various pills he obtained where ever, sniffing chemicals.... he takes what he can get.
I agree with you that it doesn't really matter "what" it is... just whether they're actively using or not.
I know my AH is actively using again. I don't want to slip back into the insanity of playing detective or trying to save him from his own choices. That was a very dark place for me. I am learning to detach from him and his choices and focus on living my own choices. It is not easy but we can do this.
Keep coming back xx