loss in its many forms

Coping with the loss of a loved one.
dtosh
option_firstname:

Re: loss in its many forms

Post by dtosh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 am

I grieve the death of all of our hopes and dreams
All who face addiction of a loved one understand this and feel this and grieve. It is one of the saddest effects of addiction and it occurs little by little as each dream dies, causing grief every time, over and over. I am sorry for everyone's loss due to this damned disease.
Thank you for listening.
Dave

Ellablue
option_firstname: Ella

Post by Ellablue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I hope by now things are better for you and your loved one has beat this battle with addiction. Your post was so accurate. The grief is constant and eventually expected. Even though you anticipate it....it destroys you all over again. I have said that I feel like my child is missing even though she is 2 doors down. She is another person.
Ella

dtosh
option_firstname:

Post by dtosh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Thank you, Ellablue, for your well wishes but, sad to say, my daughter died from a heroin overdose 6-1/2 years ago and, of course, the grieving never ends. The grieving process started the minute I found out my daughter had a drug problem and never ended as addiction is nothing but a long, long road of losses - and we all grieve every one of those losses. We get caught up in the addiction and often do not realize we are grieving and, therefore, find ourselves at a loss in how to deal with all the jumbled emotions. It makes dealing with the addiction all the more baffling for us.
It is beneficial for all to understand we go through a grieving process when addiction enters our lives because knowledge is powerful and understanding grief helps when we feel so powerless over our lives and addiction. Nar-Anon provides knowledge and understanding about addiction and that is why it is so helpful for anyone facing addiction in any manner. Understanding grief also helps and it should always be a topic of discussion in Nar-Anon meetings because everyone who comes to Nar-Anon is grieving.
Thank you for listening.
Dave

Ellablue
option_firstname: Ella

Post by Ellablue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Thank you for taking your time to reply to this message. My heart breaks for you. There can be no greater pain. Sending love through this message for you and yours. You are so correct that we are all grieving here. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ella
Ella

DEEMGEE
option_firstname: DONNA

Post by DEEMGEE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 pm

This is so appropriate today. I truly feel as if I am grieving the loss of my new husband. I am so sad and heartbroken. My mother just died in September and I then learned of a father I never knew. So I have been trying to find him and the rejection, feeling of loss of both my mom and husband is totally overwhelming. I just want to cry all the time. I feel like a nervous wreck. :? :shock: