Suicide of a young teen

Coping with the loss of a loved one.
DeanW
option_firstname:

Suicide of a young teen

Post by DeanW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

I've had trouble posting about this. I did one a few days ago and deleted because I was unsure it was appropriate for this board. But, yeah, it belongs in the "grieving" section.

The little town I live in is grieving over the loss of a 13 year old child. No one believes drugs had anything to do with this. Either from him or even that he was exposed to anyone abusing drugs. He went to my youngest grandson's middle school and small Scout troop. The troop participated in the funeral - but, my grandson did not. His parents thought it was too depressing. I know things like this have to be discussed. I told my grandson that he could always talk to his G'pa or me about anything. I've told him this all his life, though. And, he is still very closed emotionally. He went through a period of stress in which he was diagnosed with trichotillomania - that has abated, but when I am around him I feel the stress. Same with my older grandson but this suicide of my younger grandson's friend has shaken me to my core.

I dunno. I think the suicide has made me look again at how children and teen brains are far from being fully developed. How things affect them in ways that is still not understood. How very vulnerable they are. In a conversation I had with my now RAD (jft) she told me that when she was 15 she took a bottle of Tylenol. I never knew it. I knew she had liver damage when she was a teenager but it was a mystery to the Dr. and to everyone else.

I would love to re-start my grandson with the psychologist he went to when he lived with us. However, my daughter will not hear of it. I think because she is still (after almost 6 years) sensitive about admitting that she ever abused drugs. She is afraid it would come out. Sooo, with that background my grandsons seem to be on their own with emotional issues.

I saw this kid the night before he committed suicide - at a Boy Scout meeting. He looked so "normal". Just a happy kid. Cannot get my mind around how this can happen.

Winny
option_firstname:

Re: Suicide of a young teen

Post by Winny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 am

What a terrible thing to have happened. His family must be so heartbroken. Prayers to all, that their HP may see them through.

Your grandson knows you will be there for him, & he may reach out to you to talk about his feelings.

Hugs to you, this is a very difficult thing to deal with. So, so, sad.
Live for today, hope for tomorrow

4me
option_firstname:

Post by 4me » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I will pray for your little town.

The loss of anyone so young especially a "normal" seemingly
happy youth breaks the heart of all who hear of it.
Especially so for those that knew them up close and personal.

This really tugs at my heartstrings too.
Hold that happy smile he had in your heart.
I try to say I love you's each and every day to my LO's.
That's the reason only lesson I can take from stories
like this one.

Hugs to you all,

DAnn
4me

belkar1
option_firstname: Carmen

Post by belkar1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Their are NO words, but know you are not alone. My heart hurts, when I hear of this.

Some of us on this forum have experienced this first hand. By reaching out you opened the door for others to also share. You have strength and courage.

Sending warm hugs,

Belkar

Angelikoula
option_firstname: Angela

Post by Angelikoula » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am

Since my 18 year old daughter died to an accidental overdose on November 7, 2016, I've spoken with a lot of families who have lost children young and old and there is a common underlying theme between mental wellness, drug addiction, overdose and suicide. Unfortunately, it's all very much connected and society needs to understand that.

I'm sorry for the the loss of this young man .. to his parents who will be feeling unimaginable pain and trauma and who will be forever changed and for the community as well. Thoughts and prayers to everyone.