An interesting article on 'anonymity'

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.

Moderator: DianeB

An interesting article on 'anonymity'

Postby simplemom » Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am

This article got my attention. It is called “Challenging the Second ‘A’ in A.A.

It appeared in the NY Times on Sunday May 8 in the Sunday Styles Section front page.

You can also read the link to the NY Times article from www.thefix.com on the left hand side under The Quick Fix or read more under Hot Topics 'AA & Anonymity' (another interesting (?) website)

I am digesting all this as the NY Times article and The Fix website have made me uneasy in many ways and I am processing my feelings about this. I will take what I like and leave the rest...for now ;)
Karen (simplemom)
"I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship."
Louise May Alcott
simplemom

Re: An interesting article on 'anonymity'

Postby Roxers2011 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 pm

My (R?)ABF and I talked about this briefly at dinner tonight. He brought up the point that once a person breaks their own anonymity, they become a spokesperson or representative (in the public's eyes) for AA/NA, and that might not always be the best thing. In his words "most of us are dirtbags in some way or another." Someone could then make the decision that they don't want to be associated with that person/things that person does, and then choose not to attend meetings, etc. This wasn't an aspect that I was thinking about when reading the article, but now I understand better why anonymity is so important - it really helps protect both the individuals and the organization as a whole. Seems obvious now, but I haven't been in this program for very long!
-Carolyn
Roxers2011

Re: An interesting article on 'anonymity'

Postby Angel2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for the share. I have such mixed feelings about the "second A" on so many levels. Breaking the anonymity for articles, websites and gossip are a big issue for me and my AH. When we no longer feel safe in our recovery families, where is there left for us to go? These programs have been around for a significant amount of time now. Contrary to the societal norms of "If it ain't broke, break it", IMHO we need to preserve the integrity of our programs. They just might be the only thing that helps save a life, or two, or thousands. I have the same feelings towards this, as I do the region that chose to publish and sell their own Nar-Anon literature without approval. It jeopardizes the future of our programs. Or the fellowship that chooses to spread rumors about other members. Today, I pause and take a breath before I repeat anything that I have heard.
With much love and hugs,
Angel
(Formerly Confused Cincinnatian-Confused No More)

"Be the change that you want to see in the world"
Angel2

Return to Friendship Nar-anon Style Forum