Just learned of his addiction

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
Sweetlmf
option_firstname:

Just learned of his addiction

Post by Sweetlmf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi all, I'm very new to all of this and very scared. My boyfriend of about 3 months just came clean that he's been using meth for the full length of our relationship. He's lied about it in the past when I found his pipe and said he uses here and there. He also told me that turning 30 was a big deal and that there would be a ton of changes. Well this weekend he was very sick, I was so concerned, sleeping all of the time, almost flu like symptoms.. I started googling withdrawal symptoms of meth and everything matched right on. Well, I was 100% right, he had quit meth on his 30th birthday about a week and a day ago... he's going thru the nasty withdrawal and it's very painful to watch..

Just a little history about me and my love. We started a great friendship about a year and a half ago and I just adored this guy. He did 14 years in the military and just all around a great guy! My love for this man changed and grew into a romantic love and the same thing happened to him for me.. we ended up taking things very fast and moved in together and decided to start a life together. It's been an amazing 3 months! This weekend though has scared me and has me very concerned. He's been sleeping a lot and from my understanding that's normal for the recovery process. Side note: Just hearing the word meth bring me to a deep anxiety :(

He's expressed that he wants to start a family with me and that he's done with meth. He does not want it in his life anymore. I'm happy he's become honest, however I just hope and pray that he stays strong and makes it thru this.

We have been talking about moving far far away from where we currently are, I loved the idea as it's always been a dream to move to some amazing beach town... well now I'm wondering if that is best for HIM to actually really get away from all his meth ties? What do you think??

I deeply need support and someone to talk to as my friends and family will more than likely get very scared and just say run like heck.. I do not want to run and leave him, I love him with all my heart!

Thank you for reading this.

angelina2542
option_firstname:

Re: Just learned of his addiction

Post by angelina2542 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi there.

I just came across your post while randomly browsing through this website for the first time. I have been attending in person Nar-Anon meetings for the past 7 weeks after becoming aware of my significant others problem. Just reading your description of the comedown brings on alot of feelings I have had while my SO was coming down from crack (which he randomly would do every 2-3 weeks late at night after being out drinking heavily). I have been with my SO for two years now and I have recently began to realize that his recreational use of drugs are becoming more frequent and causing problems.

I am here to talk if you need a friend. I feel the same way about not wanting to share things with friends/family. I absolutely love my SO and plan to stay by his side through this. He has also voiced very similar things and we are currently preparing to move to a beach town as well, so lots of similarities in our situation. I agree it would be helpful to say the least to get away from those ties you mentioned. When we move, we will be doing the same. The only problem is that if there is a will, then there is a way. So if our SO's want to find drugs, location will not be a problem. The key is to work on ridding the desire. Is he willing to attend an NA meeting and see what it may offer to him?

I feel like I could type here all day, but for now this is what I will leave for you. I see this was a post from many months ago, so I cam curious how you are doing and if things have progressed any which way. Feel free to personal message me if you like, and if not, I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

Sincerely,
Ang