Nar-Anon Newcomer

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
MarieW0756
option_firstname: Marie

Nar-Anon Newcomer

Post by MarieW0756 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am

Yesterday I took the step of admitting to myself that my 28 year old son is an addict. This morning I deciding to take a step toward healing
and join this forum. My son is marginally productive, since he works, has an apartment, and pays some of his own bills. But I find myself routinely bailing him out financially even though I know he's spending a significant amount of money every month on drugs and alcohol. I'm tired of pouring my money into his dysfunctional life at at time when my husband and I need to be saving for our retirement, and I'm weary of talking him down from his emotional outbursts and tirades. I've been afraid that if he loses his apartment he'll have to move in with us, and that would be disastrous. I know this is taking its toll on my relationship with my husband of 8 years because he's getting tired of seeing me stressed out and upset as I ride this unhappy roller coaster. And he can't be happy that this month alone I gave my son $1,100 dollars to catch up on his bills. I know I need to find the strength to stop financially and emotionally funding his dysfunctional lifestyle. Today I am taking one step toward finding that strength.

MarieW
option_firstname:

Re: Nar-Anon Newcomer

Post by MarieW » Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum. I have a 24 year old son who mostly supports himself when he is clean, but is currently a drain on my finances as he seriously injured himself while high. Add that to all the lawyers fees, bail, rent and other things I paid for over the years.

Learning to let him stand on his own two feet is a work in progress. I am certainly a lot better about boundaries now than when I found the Forum 5 years ago.

I hope you will keep reading and posting and join us at our on line meetings (read the posts under Announcements for more info). Find a face to face meeting (Nar-Anon or Al-Anon) when you are ready. This program saved my sanity many times and showed me a better way to live.

Keep coming back

PS: In the future, you may want to post on the Main Forum page. You will get more responses there. We try to use this part of the Forum as a place to share "lighter" topics.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.