The Thin line

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
cee
option_firstname:

The Thin line

Post by cee » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:58 am

I'm trying to figure out where the boundaries are between enabling and helping. My guy told me last night he needed to go to rehab. I had to actually look at the phone to make sure I was talking to him..
I've seen meth addicts before and its strange..I can't tell if he's using or not..obviously he has been or he wouldn't be feeling this way
I let him know that I was there for him, everything was going to be ok..I gave him the number to an NA person that I know. We talked over and hour, naturally he's worried about the contents of his place..I offered to store them for him in my garage.
One thing I learned from my ex husband..setting up appointments, making sure he was comfortable didn't work..and I don't want to fall into that trap again of wearing the cape lol

River Rock
option_firstname:

Re: The Thin line

Post by River Rock » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Enabling is doing anything for them that they
Can do for themselves. When we are too
Involved ,we end up getting caught up in
Doing too much. Even when they are clean its
A thin line, and easy to get caught up in, and
They need to do for themselves.If he is serious
And not just telling you what you want to hear,
He will do the work. My son did.Hope you
Keep coming and working on you.
River Rock

cee
option_firstname:

Re: The Thin line

Post by cee » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:38 pm

River Rock wrote:Enabling is doing anything for them that they
Can do for themselves. When we are too
Involved ,we end up getting caught up in
Doing too much.
River Rock
And that was exactly what I was doing in the beginning..I call it my "spin mode" lol Reading every article I could find on detoxing at home lol, total panic mode
Whether he gets sober or not..I can't control it..I did let him know I would stand by him until I couldn't anymore. I absolutely will never go through a domestic violence situation again..that is the quickest way to get me out the door..the rest we can work on