Benadryl / cold medicine dangers for addicts

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
indigo153
option_firstname:

Benadryl / cold medicine dangers for addicts

Post by indigo153 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:17 pm

My friend, struggling with serious drug and alcohol addiction insists that taking Benadryl & or cold medicine is no problem. I know this is not the case but could really use some feedback from you. He wasn't even showing signs of needing the OTC medicine but insisted he should take it "because he felt something coming on."
I feel very distrusting and betrayed by this because I see it as highly risky behavior associated with his addictions. Am I correct to say those OTC drugs should be avoided to protect a sobriety only recently being dealt with ?

Cheryldel
option_firstname: Cheryl

Re: Benadryl / cold medicine dangers for addicts

Post by Cheryldel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:09 pm

The only Experience I have here is after my AS was kicked out of my house I remember a Sunday where he was just out all day. I asked what was up he said sharply he was tired and gave me crap. We booted him because he wasn't liking the job my husband offered and wouldn't attend 90 meeting in 90 days. My husband forced his cards figuring he wasn't done and or buying into any recovery. While cleaning out his bathroom I found a Hugh bottle of empty NyQuil and over the counter sleeping pills. My conclusion ...since he doesn't seem to have any one drug of choice, over the counter stuff works to check out if nothing else is readily available. Complaining about his sleep years ago ..now to me is a red flag code.
And cold medicine is an excuse that most normal people would be fooled about the misuse of.
Xo cheryl

MarieW
option_firstname:

Post by MarieW » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Our first indication that our son had a drug problem was when he was caught shoplifting over the counter cough syrup. Over the next two years, he progressed to heroin.

When you care about someone, it is easy to caught up in trying to save them from themselves. But realistically, we have no control over any other adult in our lives. This program is about us, the family and friends of addicts. It teach us to set healthy boundaries to protect ourselves financially, emotionally and physically. To work on ourselves instead of trying to change the addicts in our lives. It doesn't mean we abandon the addict, just that we let them figure things out on their own (the only way any of us change).

I hope you will stick around and read some of the other posts. We also have on-line meetings here four times a week.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.

Srprzy85
option_firstname:

Post by Srprzy85 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Benadryl is fine for addicts to take. When I did a couples therapy session with him in rehab, he had brought up concerns of not sleeping when he got home and got the ok to take Benadryl. :D
Just for TODAY.

indigo153
option_firstname:

Post by indigo153 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Thank you all for the valuable info and sharing. Interestingly, I met an addictions counselor who urged that no mind altering drugs should be taken including cold medicine like Nyquil or Benadryl.
A bigger matter is the intent, communication and interaction in handling these crossroads. When someone in a relationship of respect is seeking support, taking responsibility and engaging in humble communication and strategy to overcome, a natural ease arises and fosters healthy healing. On the other hand, secretive, sneaky behavior that deflects and avoids communication, responsibility and supportive solutions is not one that respects the gravity and impact of the challenge to self and loved ones. Using questionable drugs in this manner is a very concerning red flag, especially when the addiction has been expressed to lead to suicidality, gambling to loss of everything and interaction with very dangerous life threatening situations. I decided to send love and prayers from a distance because it is true that one must want the communication, respect, healing and transparency for healthy relationship building and this person was determined to secrecy, evasion, avoidance and deflection. Prayers to all. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and like puzzle piece gardens, we must feed and grow where thriving is welcome and possible. Bless you all.

DianeB
option_firstname: Diane

Post by DianeB » Sun May 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Please be reminded that we do not talk about medications.

This is something that the addict and his physician/ counsel
need to determine.

We are not qualified to make recommendations either for
or against

Thank you for respecting the Forum Guidelines.

Hugs....
Hugs....

with Love

DianeB

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

http://nar-anon.org