Brain Changes

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
jillsfineart
option_firstname:

Brain Changes

Post by jillsfineart » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:05 pm

While I am no scientist or physician I am a woman who finds a great many answers in science.
This helps me to make some sense of my AS and the way that his brain is working while in active addiction which in turn helps me to mediate some of the pain I feel for his obvious lack of ability to truly care for others.

Aside from the bio-chemical changes that occur in brain chemistry in response to addictive stimuli, there are physical changes that occur in the brain

(edited outside website -see FORUM guidelines)

When I was able to understand this association between psychological illness and the illness of addiction, I was able to understand my AS tendency to be Machiavellian. For me, understanding these changes in the addicted brain helps me to truly understand that my S has a disease of the brain not a disorder of his "soul".

I hope that this is helpful. Please be well.

Cheryldel
option_firstname: Cheryl

Re: Brain Changes

Post by Cheryldel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks,
I do think that's helpful..and comforting as well. This is something that I think about and it gives me peace. Everyone I believe has a light, a soul..the true essence of who we are. I call it gods imprint. We are all connected with that light. It would serve us all to look for it, find compassion for each souls search to reconnect with our HP no matter how difficult the path. When we find ourselves here in these rooms, we have lost our way. In nar anon, we find our path ,our purpose which is for us. We relinquish our need to direct another's, and in doing so let them find theirs.
Xo cheryl

robertruth
option_firstname:

Post by robertruth » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Addictive behavior is a readily understandable symptom, not a disease.
But if we are to scrap the disease concept and replace it with something valid, our new explanation must retain all the beneficial aspects of the old disease idea. It must not allow moralizing or any other negative attributions to people suffering with addictions. In fact, we'd hope an alternative explanation would have more value than the disease label, by giving people with addictions something the disease concept lacks: an understanding that is useful for treating the problem.
Knowing how addiction works psychologically meets these requirements. Recognizing addiction to be just a common psychological symptom means it is very much in the mainstream of the human condition. In fact addiction is essentially the same as other compulsive behaviors like shopping, exercising, or even cleaning your house. Of course, addiction usually causes much more serious problems. But inside it is basically the same as these other common behaviors. When addiction is properly understood to be a compulsive behavior like many others, it becomes impossible to justify moralizing about people who feel driven to perform addictive acts. And because compulsive behaviors are so common, any idea that "addicts" are in some way sicker, lazier, more self-centered, or in any other way different from the rest of humanity becomes indefensible.
Seeing that addiction is just a compulsive symptom also meets our wish for a new explanation: unlike the "disease" idea, it actually helps people to get well. As when people can see exactly what is happening in their minds that leads to that urge to perform an addictive act, they can regularly learn to become its master, instead of the urge mastering them.
Despite all its past helpfulness, then, we are better off today without the disease idea of addiction. For too long it has served as a kind of "black box" description that explains nothing, offers no help in treatment, and interferes with recognizing newer ways to understand and treat the problem.
And there is one more advantage. If we can eliminate the empty "disease" label, then people who suffer with an addiction can finally stop thinking of themselves as "diseased."-- ctbob

Cheryldel
option_firstname: Cheryl

Post by Cheryldel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Hummm..thoughts to ponder
Thanks