Choice vs Disease

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
fatherof2
option_firstname: Mike

Re: Choice vs Disease

Post by fatherof2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:10 am

judyg wrote:Addiction is a disease. However, an addict makes a choice about whether to use. The choice is not truly voluntary except for the first time using or the first time using after a period of being clean. The addict has a choice as to whether to recover. Even after recovery, the addiction is still there.

We have a choice as to whether to recover from our own illness or keep the focus on someone else's.

XXOO

Judy
well said and I agree.

fatherof2
option_firstname: Mike

Post by fatherof2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:24 am

jade wrote:This is a very interesting thread.

Maybe it's both a choice and a disease.

What I mean is,I don't think anyone decides one day out of the blue "I think I will become an addict,that sounds like fun".I do think a person chooses to use drugs but then it quickly turns into an addiction.I also don't think getting clean and staying clean is as simple as deciding to simply not use anymore when a person suffers through withdrawals.

I was reading an article today,you can find it by googling the words "The likely cause of addiction has been discovered,and it is not what you think",and after I read it I became so confused and was asking myself if I am dealing with my AS in the proper way,whether naranon is the route I really should be taking or not.The article really made sense to me and it's something I am going to have to do some deep thinking about.
can you provide a link to the site where you read this information. I googled it but there were many different sites with the same heading...
thanks.

Peaceful8
option_firstname:

Post by Peaceful8 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm

This is a very good question. I think there is a gene involved to the extent that some can smoke, drink, use drugs and control it. Then others chain smoke, can't stop at one drink or one drug. Our legal system doesn't care if you smoke non-stop, drink to excess unless you are driving. BUT drugs and addicts are treated in a whole different way. I get so angry when I read comments about arrests involving drugs. The general public forgets there is a human being with a disease involved and the justice system needs to offer more long term treatment options.

DianeB
option_firstname: Diane

Post by DianeB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 am

The purpose of this Friendship Forum is to talk about things other than
addiction. Life, joy, recipes, fun things, the things that make us laugh.

It is not an open Forum to discuss our opinions on addiction theories,
political ramifications of substance abuse or other controversial topics
no matter how strongly felt. It isn't a political venue. It isn't for
sharing information that could very possibly be misleading and/or wrong.

This thread has become a discussion that has no real definitive answer,
but many opinions and theories.

If you have strong feelings about needed change, please, by all means,
and very sincerely, become an advocate of change. However, our
purpose here is to help the loved ones of addicts to survive and thrive
in their own lives.

Therefore, I am locking this thread.
Hugs....

with Love

DianeB

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

http://nar-anon.org