Addiction Epidemic In Our Youth

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
cherylcat54
option_firstname:

Addiction Epidemic In Our Youth

Post by cherylcat54 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Here's an interesting statistic: America's population represents just 4% of the world's population. But the US uses 80% of all prescription opiates and benzoids manufactured by drug companies. I had an opportunity to attend a community screening of a documentary called Behind The Orange Curtain held at our local cineplex. The screening was advertised in the community section of our local paper - the theater was packed. The documentary is about epidemic use, abuse by and death of our youngsters due to Rx drugs like OxyContin, Xanax, and Opana.

With easy access and the social acceptability of these medications within our communities, kids are experimenting as young as age 10 and many find their first dose right in the family medicine cabinet. Heroin use and addiction is also epidemic because users switch from prescription drugs to heroin because it is simply just cheaper and produces the same high. It’s in every city, county, and state. Filmed in Orange County, CA where wealth and privilege is a life style, it shows the heartbreak of addiction and the destruction of families; and drives home the point that drug addiction is an equal opportunity disease, regardless of race, income, social status. I cried my way through it, as it could have been by child's story and perhaps yours. I wish every single school, youth program and church would bring the message into their own communities. I encourage all to visit the Documentary's website at (outside website reference) Please take an opportunity to see it if you can. It helped me answer the question, "How could this have happened?" in my own child's addiction.
Last edited by DianeB on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: outside website reference
Cherylcat
~ I ka lani malama ho iki mai la ka 'nani' ~
(In the heaven's brightness beauty is revealed)

thockaday
option_firstname:

Re: Addiction Epidemic In Our Youth

Post by thockaday » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Excellent.