How do you start your day?

This section is for friendship related discussion such as sports, recipes, jokes, birthday wishes, etc. We DO Recover.
Findinghope
option_firstname:

How do you start your day?

Post by Findinghope » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:21 am

I am looking for some healthy ideas to start my days with. I am tired of waking up feeling sad. I've never been good at meditation because my brain wont shut up. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
You can't think your way into a new way of living . . . you have to live your way into a new way of thinking.

kathyf
option_firstname:

Re: How do you start your day?

Post by kathyf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 am

This morning I am sitting outside on my porch, drinking my coffee, listening to the birds and nature, reading this board and engulfing myself in this program. I will then pray by talking to my HP and then write 5 gratitudes to my gratitude buddy.

I also try to practice meditation. It can be 5 minutes. I believe it's the intention that counts, not how long I can do it. Eventually it becomes a daily practice. Trying new behaviors, doing things differently, is always a challenge for me because I've been caught up in doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. When I try to change my patterns, I am easy on myself because I am a work in progress. For me, change has been gradual. It's a process.

Calming my mind has been challenging but what is working for me is to slowly remove the toxins that send my brain into worry and anxiety. None of it has been easy but I think the more important thing for me is that I keep trying.

Love,
Kathy

Findinghope
option_firstname:

Post by Findinghope » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:47 am

Thank you Kathy :)
You can't think your way into a new way of living . . . you have to live your way into a new way of thinking.

drinkingwater
option_firstname:

Post by drinkingwater » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 am

Hey!
I start my day off by reading the day's entry in the SESH (Sharing Experience, Strength and Hope) book. I also keep a gratitude journal, so I write three things I am grateful for in the journal every day. I have found that it puts me in a better frame of mind for the day.

Good for you for wanting to make a healthy change for yourself!!!

::Hugs::
Lindsey
"If you're going through hell... keep going." -- Winston Churchill

Melanie40
option_firstname:

Post by Melanie40 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am

Coffee & Reading here on the forum, my SESH and other Nar-Anon literature.

Mondays I have a morning meeting...always a great way to start off my morning.

If I am having a rough start on other days...I pick up the phone and call my sponsor or program friend.

Melanie
Formerly, Life In Limbo

"The Serenity Prayer is the handrail to grab until you can work the Steps."

judyg
option_firstname:

Post by judyg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 pm

I start with a prayer of thanks for letting me see another day. Then I ask my HP to guide me thru the day and give me the patience and strength to serve His will, not mine. thanks for asking!

Judy

Laura
option_firstname:

Post by Laura » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:48 pm

I have a routine of starting and ending my day reading this forum, and posting if it strikes me to do so. I also read "Courage to Change"...the Alanon daily reader.

Doing this seems to refocus and calm me when my brain starts to go to the places that are not healthy for it to go.

Laura
Laura

"Rest if you must, but never quit". Anonymous.

DianeB
option_firstname: Diane

Post by DianeB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 am

Two things before my feet hit the floor help me:

Thanking my HP for this new day.
Running through 5 things I have to be grateful for.

Then on with the new day....change your attitude, change your life!

Hugs...
Hugs....

with Love

DianeB

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

http://nar-anon.org

Linda (lsv)
option_firstname:

Post by Linda (lsv) » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 am

I try to start each and everyday with prayer. I do this before I get out of bed because once I am up, my brain can get real busy real fast! If I find my mind already racing, I pray for the ability to slow it down and concentrate on my prayers. I try to end with a prayer for the knowledege of my HP's will for me and the ability to carry it out. This practice helps me start my day on the right foot.

Love,
Linda

APPLE
option_firstname:

Post by APPLE » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I get up and jog, then sit out on my back patio and read my Bible, pray, water my flowers, fix coffee, shower and get the rest of the family up! Yes, I get less sleep than anyone else in the house, but I have decided it's my medicine and the only thing that helps me get through the day.
The Lord is near to the broken hearted, and those who are crushed in spirit.

simplemom
option_firstname:

Post by simplemom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

I used to wake up feeling the dread of yet another day. As I realized that my attitude is what set the tone for my day, I now do the following:

Before I get out of the bed, I stretch, smile :D and say Good Morning, God (I used to say oh god, its morning)

I have my cup of coffee or 2 while reading my literature and I say the rosary. I use this as my meditation as I too have a brain that won't shut up! (The members of this forum are always included in my prayers!)

I had a tough time with meditation as well. What I did was put it on my ipod (Davidji, 21 day meditation challenge) and listened to it while I was gardening. Now when I need to quiet my brain, I can use this.

I also use Pandora radio and Spotify and put on artists that are spiritual my favorite being Deva Premal. Some others are The Emerald Way and Paul Cardall (mostly piano).

In working my program, I have found that a postive attitude helps to overshadow any pain that may creep into my mind and take over. I will always be a work in progress to maintain my serenity and peace as this has become my focus.

I hope all the posts help you to be a happier person...because you can be and you are worth it!
Karen (simplemom)
"I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship."
Louise May Alcott

marthamay
option_firstname:

Post by marthamay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 am

I start each day with a 40 min. walk/run. It gets my endorphins going, reduces my stress and anxiety. Lots of good suggestions on this thread!
Who will I be or die trying?

Findinghope
option_firstname:

Post by Findinghope » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I now like to start my morning with a cup of coffee while reading on here. Then breakfast, and starting the days activities ,chores etc. Love this new home and everyone here! Thank you for all your responses! :D