Rehab Question

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

robynx125
option_firstname:

Rehab Question

Post by robynx125 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 pm

I just got my first phone call from my partner who told me that her rehab facility was cancelling visitation this Sunday. She was very upset because she was looking forward to it. She said that they didn't give her a reason as to why it was cancelled. I am unfamiliar with inpatient rehab facilities and they seem very unwilling to give me any answers. Does anyone know why they would cancel visitation?

SDIN2T
option_firstname: JR

Re: Rehab Question

Post by SDIN2T » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm

In my experience, when my wife found a brief period of recovery, early on I had to trust what my gut was telling me. Sometimes it was hard for me to figure out if what I was being told was the truth.

:JR
And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life - JK Rowling

robynx125
option_firstname:

Post by robynx125 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe she is doing well at the moment and having visitors could influence some progression. If that's the case then I feel better about it. I thought maybe it was because she broke a rule or did something that warranted her visitation privileges getting taken away or something. Wasn't sure how it worked.

Suejan
option_firstname: Susan

Post by Suejan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 am

Truthfully it could be both a penalty or a support measure. My son has lost privileges for a rule break, and he has been kept away from everyone, including us, to provide a safe secure environment based on his recovery- not ours. He has told us the truth about every transgression he has made in this recovery and that makes it so much easier to accept these as natural consequences of his actions- and he has accepted every one of them and taken responsibility.
In the past though- in other recovery situations- I never knew what was truth and what was not. I had to suspend my reactions as a parent and just accept- not easy I know:(
I just found it better to listen then- offer no opinion and do no consoling. It is his recovery- and I would rather he find it without me around than not find it at all.
Thank you for sharing
Susan

Claytonmomof2
option_firstname:

Post by Claytonmomof2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am

There was a waiting period when my AH was in rehab in which he could not have any visitors initially. He'd always have to sign up to have a visitor and it would have to be approved before we could go. There were certain times when I wish that they would not have allowed me to go because he wasn't doing well enough to have anyone there.