Sad Observation

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

cdnstepmom
option_firstname:

Sad Observation

Post by cdnstepmom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:59 am

My addicted step-son's mother just informed me last night that she found out why a friend of my 11 year old step-daughter's no longer came around to play with her just over a year ago. My step-son was living there at the time, and my step-daughter and her friend had been outside playing and wanted to come back inside. Mom wasn't home but step-son was and wouldn't let them in. The girls knocked on the front door a number of times and then decided to go see if they could get in through the back door. They were having trouble unlocking the back gate to get in the backyard, when my step-son appeared, yelled at them "you want to know how to break in, this is how you do it!" and proceeded to break the back gate. The girls fled. This scared both of them but especially my step-daughter's friend who reported it to her mother. My step-kid's mother must have ran into the friend's mother last week and found out why this friend no longer spoke or would have anything to do with my step-daughter.

This girl was one of her best friends and lives a stone throw away. Her mother would not let her daughter hang around my step-daughter because of her brother. Which I totally understand. To witness one of his rages is scary for an adult let alone a child. Anger wasn't the word I would use when told about this. Sadness for my step-daughter is what I felt. Just a sense of deep sadness for this innocent child who has been a witness to too much in her 11 years because of her brother's addiction, mental health issues and actions. :(

DeanW
option_firstname:

Re: Sad Observation

Post by DeanW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am

My Experience: This type of thing happens to children of addicts or younger siblings of addicts often. You're right - it is very sad...

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Re: Sad Observation

Post by Ma1954 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:09 am

This is really sad. My son was in trouble all the time. I lived in a very small town. I eventually sold my house for a loss and moved. I always felt I was being judged. And this was before the heroin use. He followed me here and got in all kinds of worse trouble and now has to take care of all those things. I am trying to detach from him but I am not doing such a good job. Hugs to you and your daughter. Sue
Sick and tired of being sick and tired