Feeling stuck

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Feeling stuck

Post by vscook » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 am

I've reached a point where I'm feeling stuck. Not moving forward. Just tired of doing the same things over and over. What do you do when you feel stuck?
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

DianeB
option_firstname: Diane

Re: Feeling stuck

Post by DianeB » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:19 am

I quit dwelling on it and simply move on.

Growth comes in spurts, the rest is just working it day by day.

Accepting where I am and doing the next right things usually brings
me to an alteration in my path to move on in the right direction.

Feeling stock shows me I want to control the next moves....

letting go and accepting that I am exactly where I need to be at this moment.

Wait for the lesson.

run5203
option_firstname:

Post by run5203 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:34 am

This is hard for me too. I am stuck. I don't feel I am making much progress on myself, and I sort of feel like a hamster on a wheel just having to handle all my daily responsibilities. My mind is a dangerous place to go when I become restless. Right now I try to distract myself with exercise--hard exercise that forces me to think about how uncomfortable I am physically, rather than mentally.

Dannie
option_firstname:

Post by Dannie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

When I am feeling stuck to tend to seek out new information like books or reputable online information to give me new ideas and perspectives on things. I also try to change things up like my daily routine etc. and do things differently the next day to help me feel like I am getting out of the rut I am in.

Ronni
option_firstname: Ronni

Post by Ronni » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 am

When I feel that way....and I think everyone does, it's a normal part of growth and improvement...I don't stop doing anything I'm already doing, I just add something else, either temporarily or permanently, just depending.

For me, because I get very cerebral about things, I tend to want to get more information. I'm a research nerd under any circumstances anyway, so I just google, check books out of the library, read more literature, whatever will give me information about the area in which I feel stuck.

For example, there was a period of time in which I felt just very emotionally numb, and wondered if I had just shut down, had become emotionally unavailable, was apathetic, whatever. So I spent some time researching that, doing a lot of web surfing, wide net of search criteria in order to get some answers. Ultimately I got more information and it helped me recognize what was happening and deal with it, and it helped me feel unstuck.

Any kind of progress in any area, whether it's my work on myself here, or exercise, or weight loss, or learning a new subject...it's never a straight line journey. There are always slows and stops, side roads and bumps, obstacles that have to be circumvented. That's just life, the way life goes.

I just keep putting one foot in front of the other even if I don't feel like I'm making progress. I still am, and it's always fun to look back and see how far I've come.
My son's addiction is something that happened TO HIM. It is NOT something he did TO ME.

heretostay
option_firstname:

Post by heretostay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Feeling stuck for me means that I have gone as far as I can for the moment. I know that I am going in the right direction, and I just need to hang in there and wait for word for my HP (whom I call God).

Great share, thank you! Listen to learn and share to heal.
"Virtue is measured by struggles not by prizes" Anonymous

slm219
option_firstname: Sharon

Post by slm219 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Hey there!

For me .....I gotta keep moving....change it up....add some new things. AND when I just don't feel like doing something....well that is when I know I must....and then it is a good feeling, sense of accomplishment.
Hugs,
Sharon
Even a small star shines in the darkness.

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 pm

I think it's common to reach a point in our recovery where we feel stuck
I know that I did (many times)
I would get very frustrated. I always thought I had to moving forward, learning more, feeling more peaceful :lol: so I would be uncomfortable hitting a wall.
Accepting that that is where I'm supposed to be is what finally would help me (after some personal struggling).
I realized I move forward in spurts and then just float for a while and sometimes fall back a bit.
Acceptance. Still working on that.
Love, Donna