Hippa law and drug rehabs

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

2Bhealthy
option_firstname:

Hippa law and drug rehabs

Post by 2Bhealthy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi! My AD went into court ordered rehab on Oct 30th 2017. She called next day and said she was so glad to be there and was going to work the program. She then asked for more money, "for the vending machines." I said we have been sending money the whole time you were in jail and did not need money for that junk. Her mother in law had brought her some clothes and cigarettes, but they would not tell her if my AD was there. None of us heard from her again. I sent a letter and card for Christmas to her and it got sent back "return to sender" just last week. Trust me that I had called there several times asking to talk to her or a SW. They just sent me to Med records and would not reveal. She has not gone to any of her court appearances. Guess this means she left there. All I can do now is continue to pray for her and let God provide! Anyone else have this experience?

jeanette
option_firstname:

Re: Hippa law and drug rehabs

Post by jeanette » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 pm

My experience -

One time I was working out of town
and my dad calls me -

my supposedly R AH
had been in a car accident and been life flighted

I couldn't even find out where he was taken
that is how HIPPA works

Adults get to decide who can be told anything about their medical conditions and unless they expressly say you can be told no information will be given.

It is frustrating - but it is privacy.

Many parents here do not know where their children are -
I am sure it can be very frustrating -
all I can recommend is to work the program hard!
Meetings, sponsor, steps!
Thoughts and Prayers, Peace and Love
Jeanette

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them FEEL. - Maya Angelou

2Bhealthy
option_firstname:

Post by 2Bhealthy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks Jeanette!

grateful
option_firstname:

Post by grateful » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi. One of the program sayings I learned that has helped me during times of not knowing: "Whatever you need to know will come to you without any effort on your part." If I don't know something, it's probably in my best interest not to know. Keep coming back. Glad you're here.
Last edited by grateful on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seek beauty

rosegold
option_firstname: Rose

Post by rosegold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I was in the same situation and someone on this forum told me something that helped me immensely - they said "her Higher Power knows where she is." That just made so much sense to me.

2Bhealthy
option_firstname:

Post by 2Bhealthy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi! I found out that she left the Rehab a week after she got there! Have not heard from her since! That was Nov. 7th. A detective was able to find out the info. Now there is a bench warrant out on her! She does not respond to any FB messages, though I did spot her on there. When the police find her she will go back to jail! I feel grateful for this forum and the meetings I have gone to for the wisdom and support. Also I have great family support! All we can do is pray for her and know that God is watching over her! Thanks!

Ronni
option_firstname: Ronni

Post by Ronni » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 am

It took me a long time to learn, but I finally figured out that bad news about my RAS will ALWAYS find me....I don't ever have to go looking for it.

That realization has helped me through many rough spots, and has been been proven true time and again. The corollary to it has also been pretty accurate..when he was not in any trouble I never heard a word.

Funny how that works. ;)
My son's addiction is something that happened TO HIM. It is NOT something he did TO ME.

2Bhealthy
option_firstname:

Post by 2Bhealthy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 pm

So true, Ronnie, Thanks.

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Post by hopefulNE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Here is my (not so) funny story about this.
About 4 years ago, my then 24 yo (R)AD left a short term detox/rehab facility without my knowledge. When I called to speak to her, they would reveal nothing, even when I begged them to check their list as she usually put my name on as a contact person. No info, just kept repeating that her name wasn't on their patient list.
Come to find out, in her infinite wisdom she had left the facility days before in the company of another patient, who was a registered sex offender. (!)
Finally tracked her down via Facebook; she was stranded at his mother's house in another state, no phone, and the only way I was able to contact her was thru Facebook messaging.
Her dad (shortly after suffering a major heart attack) and a friend ended up having to go fetch her home within the week.
Luckily the episode ended reasonably well, but it could have been very different.
There is a bill in my state to allow health care providers to release some information to families of addicts and mental health patients, who after all aren't operating at full capacity. I hope it passes.
And by the way, in my experience the HIIPA laws have never deterred the providers from tracking you down if they thought they could collect some money from you as a family member. Just saying.
The system is very broken.
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII