Sibling sadness

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Hope2018
option_firstname: Patty

Sibling sadness

Post by Hope2018 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm

For over 30 years I have dealt with my sisters addiction with lots of love, care and forgiveness. Lots of enabling. This past year things have changed. She wasnt there for my Mom when she needed her when she was ill, she chose drugs Iinstaed of coming to my Dads 80th bday party and she used the entire time family was here this Christmas. I’m angry and very upset with her, I told her I love her but that I wanted her to leave me alone and she has. My parents too are at their wits end, so sad to see them have to deal with this in their older ages. They keep giving in though, I understand I probably would too if it were my child, but she’s just going to do it all over again and I mentally and physically can’t deal with it anymore. The lies are unreal and no one ever stands up to her, well finally I have and I’m not sure how to deal with it all. I’m glad I found this site and hope I can find a local groups to join face to face sometime in the near future.

slm219
option_firstname: Sharon

Re: Sibling sadness

Post by slm219 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi and welcome....glad you found us, but sorry for what brought you here.

I have been dealing with addiction on and off for 30 years with our 44 AS. There were periods of sobriety and him living a "normal" life but the last 4 years have been the worst and thats when I really started to work this program. I have been thru everything you mentioned and yes as a parent it is very very hard. I am no spring chicken either and yes have those thoughts.....this is not fair!....but its the cards I have been dealt, so I had to learn a better way to live. It can be done.....lots of hard work but trying to change the negative with positives and being grateful for what I do have .....

Soooo...stick around.....try to make a face to face meeting, you will meet some great people and they generally have a lot of literature also. Our meetings on this Forum are 3 times a week at 8:00 EST....Sunday, Monday and Wed......hope to see you at one soon.
Hugs,
Sharon
Even a small star shines in the darkness.