Need direction--I am new here

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

DonnaMc
option_firstname:

Re: Need direction--I am new here

Post by DonnaMc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Sometimes, it's really, really hard to hear your HP. I thought I was listening, but found I wasn't. When I was beyond desperate and needed understanding, I finally started looking and found this forum. I finally listened to a family member who had presented NarAnon as an option to me multiple times previously, (which I ignored), and got the courage and walked in to a face to face meeting for the first time. I know now that was my HP guiding me to my recovery. You are here. Maybe that's your HP guiding you to yours.

I found that the first step to getting color back in my life was getting the peace back in my home. Baby steps, that's what my recovery has been about.

Peace,

Donna Mc
In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer - Albert Camus

MarieW
option_firstname:

Re: Need direction--I am new here

Post by MarieW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I don't have much to add to the previous responses, except please find a meeting (Nar-Anon or Al-Anon) and GO. JFK said something to the effect of "We ask for His blessing and His help, but know that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.” My HP's will is revealed in my actions when I set healthy boundaries and take care of me. I've found that by changing my actions, a change in feelings follows, not other way around.

Keep reading and posting. Attend our on-line meetings. Order some literature (the Nar-Anon 36 work book and the SESH (Sharing our Experience, Strength and Hope) book are a good start. You can order the SESH book on Amazon and start reading it right away on your reader, computer or phone.

You deserve a healthy, happy 2018. Taking a few steps away from the crazy train is a great way to start the year.

Keep coming back.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.