Feeling helpless

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Lem3
option_firstname:

Feeling helpless

Post by Lem3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 am

Hello,
I am new to this site but the stories are all so familiar. I have been with my abf for over 6 years. He has chronic back pain and is addicted to pain killers. He has been in and out of counseling, in and out of jail, the whole song and dance. A little over a year ago I started going to nar anon classes and it really helped me find my HP and in return I believe it helped him. I chose how to live my life not his addicition. I chose to be with him but not when he was high. The classes I went too were not close by so I started to go to them less and less. I am really glad I found this site because my boyfriend went on a binge after Christmas. It all happened so quickly! I didn't handle it well. I got angry, the yelling started and I know better that I can't talk to him when he is in that state. We can't have a conversation I know that. It was like everything I learned went out the window so fast. It was just I haven't seen that person or side of him in such a long time and all the horrible memories came rushing back. I made him leave if he was going to be high. He is staying at his brothers house because I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I am not sure how long this binge is going to last. I am sure he will show up sooner or later. I am not sure how long his brother will keep him there. I just need to remember my 3 c's and not let this run my life. I know it's just a set back but it feels like we are back to square 1. Feeling helpless.
Thanks for listening

HollyTx
option_firstname: Holly

Re: Feeling helpless

Post by HollyTx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am

Hang in there.

Sending you love and encouragement.

Holly

SDIN2T
option_firstname: JR

Re: Feeling helpless

Post by SDIN2T » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am

For me, Square 1 = Step 1

I live daily in Steps 1, 2 ,3.

Step 1 is the foundation of my recovery program. Regardless of what my addicts do, I know I am completely powerless and that gives me the ability understand Acceptance and Surrender.

:JR
And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life - JK Rowling