Granddaughter's Mom

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

time4me?
option_firstname:

Granddaughter's Mom

Post by time4me? » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Nothing much new.

Beautiful Christmas this year with family and friends, and got to spend time with my 3 year old granddaughter. She is well and happy and loved her gifts this year as well as all the attention she got from family.

Her AM has not seen her in about 2 years. This year seems to have been especially bad for her - 3 ODs and about 4 arrests. The latest OD was at her probation officer's appointment, so after they get her stable medically, she was taken into custody.

I cannot say that I am surprised. It is not necessary for me to understand, just be as supportive as I can to that little cherub, give lots of snuggles and hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Her Mom is the only one who can change this.

Naranon gives my the tools and fellowship I (we) need to get through and keep getting stronger. Thank goodness for that. TFLMS.

LKSG8R
option_firstname:

Re: Granddaughter's Mom

Post by LKSG8R » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 pm

You have written such an inspiring post showing how this program can help us live in peace, even when our ALO's are at their worst. Your granddaughter is very blessed to have you, and I know she will be positively affected by your serenity.

Lisa
Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

belkar1
option_firstname: Carmen

Post by belkar1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 am

Sending warm hugs, yes loving our little cherubs is the JOY In my world too.

Babies do not keep ;) that was written in a lovely poem on one of my flower arrangements. When my second son was born. It is very true my granddaughter is now 15, and much taller than I am. Where did the time go ? she was little for such a short time, and will be big forever ;)

One of the best things for me is to still cuddle with her, eat popcorn and watch funny movies. Its our special time, I am so grateful to have her in my life.

I agree our fellowship is a strong resource for US, we never walk the road of addiction alone again. You were able to find the JOY in your world, no matter what your AOL is doing, how awesome is that. Then having peace and serenity you were able to share it with your granddaughter. From my experience that does keep giving gifts of loving memories.

Love
Belkar

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:36 am

Thank you for inspiring all of us and reminding us what a difference this program can make in our lives
Love, Donna

Ronni
option_firstname: Ronni

Post by Ronni » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am

belkar1 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 am

Babies do not keep ;) that was written in a lovely poem on one of my flower arrangements.
That's a line from a much longer poem, the last stanza of which a dear friend of mine cross-stitched and framed for me when I started out as a Mom, as a constant reminder to enjoy my babies.

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep.

I know it by heart :) And it's a good reminder too, for me to stay in the moment, even now when my own babies have babies of their own. To stay focused on what's important in my life, which is NOT the cleaning and scrubbing, or its equivalent, in this fast paced world in which we live.

Naranon has helped me realize that focusing on that, on the "cleaning and scrubbing" or the like, is just my way of trying to stay in control. If I can't control my addict, then what CAN I control? Y'know? It's taken me a long time to realize that hyper-focusing on the things I can control is just as unhealthy, in its own way, as trying to control my son. I mean, it's certainly a step in the right direction, but simply substituting one area of control for another isn't the healthy answer for me. I need to be able to let go of that control, and it's hard.

Definitely a work in progress, that's for sure. ;)
My son's addiction is something that happened TO HIM. It is NOT something he did TO ME.

time4me?
option_firstname:

Post by time4me? » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you all for the additional ESH. It always helps. :)