Christmas Day

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

NeoMom
option_firstname:

Christmas Day

Post by NeoMom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 am

Christmas Day...

Unfortunately I became very ill (cold/flu) and I had to cancel my family dinner at my home. I am grateful however that I am loved and cared for.

My son called (from jail), and by the time I was able to get myself to the phone I had missed his call. I felt a wave of sadness come over me.
I shed tears, and allowed myself to feel and release the emotions. It's ok.... he can call another time.

It's hard to believe that this time last year was when my son OD'd in my home. It just doesn't seem like it was a year ago.

I trust, and believe that he is where he needs to be (for now), and that everything has happened in Devine order. He's alive, and I still have hope that he will find his way to his own recovery.

Before finding my way here I was so wrapped up in my sons addiction, that it had taken a great toll on me.
Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. In the last year I have learned how to put the focus back on me and to take care of my own needs.
It doesn't mean I care less for my son. For me it means caring for my son in a much healthier way.

I am SO grateful I found my way here....finding this forum saved me. I couldn't have done this alone. No one should ever have to!

Thank you ALL for sharing your experiences, and caring!

_/\_
"Embrace the glorious mess that you are" E.Gilbert

Raina
option_firstname: Renee

Re: Christmas Day

Post by Raina » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:43 am

Greetings, Neomom,

It sounds like you have learned a lot and come such a long way over the past year. What a great testimonial to a strong recovery program! I'm sure it was disappointing to miss the family celebration and your son's phone call, but I admire your positive attitude regarding those events. I hope you're getting over the cold/flu and feeling better now. Sometimes it seems the extra stress surrounding the holidays takes a toll on health. Perhaps your son's being in jail is a blessing... you've had time to focus on yourself without worrying about his safety. Thanks for sharing your Experience, Strength, and Hope. Maybe I'll catch you at an online meeting!
peace & harmony,
Renee
You are Braver than you Believe, Stronger than you Seem, & Smarter than you Think.
-Christopher Robin

Claytonmomof2
option_firstname:

Post by Claytonmomof2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am

Being sick for Christmas is really difficult in general, and I'm sorry you missed your phone call. When my AH was in rehab, he could only call at certain times and that added a lot of pressure to me to make sure I'd be able to catch all of them. So I can relate to how you feel and I'm sure he understands. Sounds like despite all these things you handled your day with such strength.

As the kids and I plowed through Christmas this year I just kept reminding myself that next Christmas will be much better. Even if our circumstances haven't changed, by next Christmas we will be more accustomed to this situation. We will have had a similar Christmas under our belt and know more of what to expect from it. Although my hope and prayer is that next Christmas we will all be in recovery and reconciliation mode... Honestly, I'm just glad the holidays are behind us now. Looking forward to a NEW YEAR!

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Post by vscook » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm also glad the holiday is over. This is my second Christmas dealing with my daughter's addiction. We traveled to visit extended family, so I wasn't really sure how it would go. She was quiet but reasonably sociable, not obviously high or in withdrawal. I consider that a good thing. :shock:

Wishing you and everyone here a Happy New Year! (Hugs)
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.