New here, thankful and tired

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

adriene
option_firstname:

New here, thankful and tired

Post by adriene » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:45 am

My AD recently lost physical custody of my GD. I, unfortunately and fortunately, live about 3 hours away by plane. I find that when i live close to my AD i am continually stressed. My AD sister has stepped up and agreed to take custody of my GD. The stress my AD has put my family through for about the past 13 years has began to take its toll on me and the rest of my family. I decided to block my AD phone calls and texts and really want nothing to do with her. I do pray that she hits her bottom and doesn't hurt herself or anyone else in the process. She overdosed in mid-October and began to get Vivitrol. However, she can still drink alcohol and does to excess. I tend to feel guilty for living so far away and then i feel thankful that i do. I am just really tired of living through her addiction and consequences. I am glad to have found this online forum and appreciate reading the posts here. Encouraged and feel some relief. Prayers and peace

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Re: New here, thankful and tired

Post by Ma1954 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 am

TYFS. I have been feeling like I can't take my alo any more. I think I am having fight or flight reactions to everything. I am in full blown anxiety. I blocked his phone calls from my house phone. I feel so guilty about his situation, but I can't feel like this anymore. I wish I lived very far away. You are not alone. Sue
Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Raina
option_firstname: Renee

Post by Raina » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Adriene, so glad you found this helpful resource. I'm so sorry to learn of the difficult situation in your family. It's especially tough when innocent children are caught up in it. What a blessing that the child's aunt is able to take her in and offer her some security and stability. Addiction is called a family disease for good reason, as you're unfortunately experiencing that. Caring about others' welfare means we suffer too. It's such a roller coaster ride (and I don't care at all for coasters!) of emotions, extremes, and oppositional feelings. We are lucky to have groups like Nar-anon and this forum to help us navigate all these traumas, trials, and tribulations. Please keep coming back, reading, and learning. Bit by bit, slowly but surely, we can get through this together, regardless of our addicted loved one's situation. Please stop by tonight's online meeting, if you're able, and "meet" some of the other members in a real-time format.
peace & harmony,
Renee
You are Braver than you Believe, Stronger than you Seem, & Smarter than you Think.
-Christopher Robin

adriene
option_firstname:

Post by adriene » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I will not be able to attend the meeting tonight; however, hopefully tomorrow night! I look forward to meeting everyone ... thanks again

hope1
option_firstname:

Post by hope1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. Addition is a cunning, baffling and powerful disease that most of us can not cope with alone. I was brought to my knees trying to fix my daughter. I was finally given the gift of desperation and have been slowly climbing my own way out of the hole i had dug for myself . I completely understand feeling some relief for the physical distance. I have felt the same way. My AD has found her way into recovery but there is many bumps in the road. Slowly but surely things are improving on both sides. As long as i work hard to stay on my side of the street and focus on myself to the best of my ability I am able to have some peace. Be gentle with yourself, this is a process.

adriene
option_firstname:

Post by adriene » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

I understand the "brought to your knees" as a result of trying to help someone else. I am currently at that place and i am desperate for some relief. So thankful i found this forum with like minded people who are going through addiction with a relative or friend. It is definitely not easy ... doable and difficult but doable.