"The Miracle"

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

"The Miracle"

Post by hopefulNE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:46 am

When I first got here, I used to live for the "success" stories. The ones where our ALOs had achieved long term recovery and were doing great! I so needed to know that it was possible. Those stories gave me hope and kept me from giving up in despair. And, I do still love to see them...they are inspiring.
But...in the years since, through many ups and downs, I have come to understand that all recovery is "just for today." I have been learning to live in the present moment. I have learned that circumstances can change in an instance.
When I first heard people say,"Don't leave until the miracle happens," I thought the miracle was that our ALOs got sober and into recovery. Now I know that the real miracle is that we can live lives that are meaningful and joyful regardless of what our ALOs choose to do.
I am a slow learner, as I've said before. I'm a work in progress, still learning.
May we all experience our miracle.
TY all for being here, and for listening.
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

jeanette
option_firstname:

Re: "The Miracle"

Post by jeanette » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am

Pat -

Thanks for this timely reminder -
I know that I can "lose my program" and "relapse"
into my crazy way of thinking at any time

I need my program!
Thoughts and Prayers, Peace and Love
Jeanette

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them FEEL. - Maya Angelou

DeanW
option_firstname:

Post by DeanW » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm

This is so true. The miracle is within us....

Life2theFull
option_firstname:

Post by Life2theFull » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. This forum and support group is all new to me although I have been in a relationship with an addicted spouse for years. I finally got tired of waiting for him to "get better" and get help. I didn't realize it but setting clear boundaries now that we are apart has been more challenging then dealing with the addictive patterns when we were living together. Although I see efforts of seeking help, the true miracle is maintaining my joy and peace. I don't know how to reestablish my boundary lines now that they have been compromised. Praying for a loving, healthy solution.

Patricia
option_firstname:

Post by Patricia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank you. Wonderful post.

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Thank you Pat
You are so right - I've realized in this past year that the miracles are the little things that are around us all the time that we are often too rushed or too preoccupied to recognize. Once I started being open to them and showing more gratitude the miracles seemed to multiply.
As most of us do, I get hung up in the hustle and bustle, stop working my program and have to STOP and slow down, recognizing the miracles as they happen every day.
Thanks for the reminder.
Love, Donna

Eph6v13
option_firstname: Alicia

Post by Eph6v13 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I look forward to my miracle. TYFS.

Suejan
option_firstname: Susan

Post by Suejan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 am

Thanks For sharing Pat
I remember being in a group meeting and coming to the same realization- the miracle wasnt my sons recovery- it was mine. It was in my ability to accept my circumstances- learn about my self, and ultimately grow in spirituality and compassion.
I appreciate the reminder- its only my miracle I can count on!
Take care
Susan

slm219
option_firstname: Sharon

Post by slm219 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Pat -
Thank you for sharing this.
I too came here thinking the "miracle" was finding a way for my AS to find recovery once and for all.
Being a "slow learner" also......I found that the miracle was me finding my way and giving up the craziness....yes that is the true miracle.
Hugs,
Sharon
Even a small star shines in the darkness.