The Flashlight

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

judyg
option_firstname:

The Flashlight

Post by judyg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am

My HP speaks to me in many ways, one of which is through my Rector's sermons on Sunday. Yesterday the message was close to the heart. The sermon recounted another Priest's experience with a man he had gotten into rehab after a long history of gangbanging and drugging. While Pedro was in the facility, his brother committed suicide. The Priest went to get him to go to the funeral. As soon as Pedro got in his car, he recounted a dream from the night before in which he was in a room that was pitch dark. Suddenly a light shone onto the wall, revealing the presence of a light switch. The light came from a flashlight being shone by the Priest. He held the light in position until Pedro turn on the switch, and room became light.

So it is with us and our relationship with our ALOs, and others in our lives we may want to change in some way. It's our job to hold the flashlight, but they must turn the switch themselves. Through this program I have come to understand that if I switch the light, what shines is MY light. For my loved one to find the light in their lives, they must turn it on. This is another way of explaning detachment with love. We detach from the outcome, knowing the loved on has to turn on his own light. But we lovingly hold the flashlight showing where the switch is until they are ready.

Sometimes others have to hold the flashlight for me. By doing so they show me the way, but it's always my responsibility to turn the switch that provides the light. I have been a part of this group for many years, and you have held the flashlight for me many many times. For this I am forever grateful.

Love to you through the holidays and always!

Judy

DeanW
option_firstname:

Re: The Flashlight

Post by DeanW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

I loved this. Beautiful. TYFS.

Jade11
option_firstname:

Post by Jade11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:53 pm

I have come to understand that if I switch the light, what shines is MY light. For my loved one to find the light in their lives, they must turn it on. This is another way of explaning detachment with love.
I really love how you put this. So true! It does help me better understand detachment. Thank you for sharing xx

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Post by hopefulNE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:05 am

Beautiful & inspiring.
TYFS,
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Copying and pasting this for future reading. Tyfs.

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Post by Ma1954 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:32 am

TYFS. This is a wonderful share. Merry Christmas to you. Sue
Sick and tired of being sick and tired

slm219
option_firstname: Sharon

Post by slm219 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:36 am

Tyfs....loved it! Very inspiring and yes I am going to keep this!
Happy Holidays to you!
Hugs,
Sharon
Even a small star shines in the darkness.

whitedove
option_firstname:

Post by whitedove » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for this post. I needed it. I will now try to hold the flashlight....its all I can do.