Monday Dec. 11, 2017, 8 p.m. EST Meeting

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

HollyTx
option_firstname: Holly

Monday Dec. 11, 2017, 8 p.m. EST Meeting

Post by HollyTx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

Meeting Topic Post: Just for Today
Date and time of meeting: December 11, 2017, 8 p.m. EST
Topic: Just for Today
Discussion leader: Holly
Personalized Topic Comments:
When I first stumbled and fell into the forum and Nar-Anon, life was all about my addict. Was my ALO using? Was my ALO high? How could I stop this? What roadblocks could I put in the way to stop him from accessing his DOC? I would organize the family, my interactions and my life around what my ALO was or was not doing. His use - or lack thereof - was a barometer for my happiness. The focus was on my ALO - 100%. As I worked through my program, I needed to shift gears. I realized that I was as ill as my beloved addict. I was so bent on controlling the addiction (and therefore him), that I wasn't living MY life.

At some stage in my recovery I stumbled across the poem: Just for Today in our literature. And oh my goodness! There's not a word in there about the addict and controlling him. It's all about me and my recovery. When I first read it, I was angry. The poem seemed so overwhelming, so selfish - didn't the world see I needed to save my ALO? How was I going to do that, if I take time for me? So I took a step back. I took it line by line and decided that I was worth a little investment in me. Like my program, I don't manage my poem perfectly. Yet it reminds me of what can be as I take little baby steps.

I'm still in recovery - it's a lifelong journey. And sometimes I take the scenic route, jump on the crazy train, or miss the path entirely. It's OK. I'm human. Just for Today, I'm doing the best I can - and that's enough.

Just For Today
Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my “luck” as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anyone knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do – just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won’t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to notice what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

**********************************************************************************************

Access information:

Simply click on Online Meeting icon to access Chat room.

PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION SO THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE MEETING GUIDELINES:

Once the meeting has opened, we only read from or talk about conference approved literature which can be found on the literature order form from WSO at nar-anon.org.

Anything you hear tonight is strictly our own opinion. The principles of Nar-Anon are found in our Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. If a member says something here that you cannot accept – remember he or she is speaking from their own experience, they are not speaking for Nar-Anon. When you leave our meeting, take home those thoughts that will be most helpful to you, forget those you feel will not be helpful, and keep coming back.

We ask that you speak only as a member of Nar-Anon.

Please read and become familiar with the 12 Steps, Traditions and Concepts and posted under Announcements in the Nar-Anon Family Forum. It it is important to understand the principles of this program.

The following are some important guidelines that will help you get the most out of the meeting.

The meeting today will last between 1 hour and 1-1/2 hours.

If you need to leave the meeting early, please try to leave after an individual has completed their share to minimize interruption.

In Nar Anon meetings, we do not engage in CROSSTALK. Personal progress for the greatest number depends on unity, so we take turns sharing our own experience, strength and hope; we do not interrupt each other or engage in dialogue (either directly or through private messages); we do not put the spotlight on just one member; we do not give advice, offer solutions, or try to rescue one another. we do not offer our personal opinions, criticize or judge anyone.

What is CROSSTALK? It is talking across the group to or with a specific individual. For the purposes of our online meeting, crosstalk refers to interrupting an individual while they are sharing with any typed comment.

It also refers to private messaging between individuals. It is important that we allow everyone the opportunity to engage in the meeting without the distraction of private messages.

By patiently listening, we show respect for each other and our concern for the common welfare of the group. Loving interchange can occur outside the meeting time via one-on-one or group conversations, e-mail, telephone and sponsorship and staying after the meeting for open chat.

To participate and share in the online meeting we follow these guidelines for sharing:

To share, type “!” and wait to be recognized by the discussion leader.

In fairness to all who wish to share today, please keep your sharing to 3 – 5 minutes of typing. Once you are finished sharing, please type “done” so we are aware you have concluded your share.

To avoid any crosstalk, advice or feedback when an individual has completed their share and allow time for all who wish to share today, please limit your responses to a simple TYFS and a few brief kind words of recovery related support and encouragement.