Working my program....

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

jeanette
option_firstname:

Working my program....

Post by jeanette » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 pm

There is so much wisdom on this board. I see so many posts talking about "working my program" - so I thought some of our newcomers might want to know what "working my program" means to each of us. I invite everyone to share what your program is to you.

for me working my program means.....

journaling
reading Conference Approved Literature (CAL)
working with my sponsees
hearing the voice of my sponsor
talking to my family of choice on the phone
living life by the steps, traditions, and concepts
Thoughts and Prayers, Peace and Love
Jeanette

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them FEEL. - Maya Angelou

flash
option_firstname:

Re: Working my program....

Post by flash » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks for starting this post Jeanette.
Working my program to me means coming on here for ES&H on a regular basis and offering some when and if I can.
It means daily prayers and meditation as many days as I can.
It means following what I've learned in all my affairs not just in dealing with addiction.
Remembering daily to be grateful for what I do have.
Working with my sponsor on the steps.

ATLmom
option_firstname:

Post by ATLmom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

For me, working my program means staying connected to my HP, staying connected to my nar-anon friends, reading SESH book, and being grateful.

Suejan
option_firstname: Susan

Post by Suejan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks for the topic. Working a program is probably pretty personal to each of us.
I started with in person meetings- I live on an Island and there is only 1 meeting- once a week. I craved so much more at first. I worked service, purchasing the literature for the group. I shared from day one. I went to recovery centers with a group member and shared with families, letting them know Naranon existed and was there for them. I got a sponser, worked the steps in group over a year. Became a sponser. Went to meetings every week for 2+ years faithfully. Brought newcomers with me when I could. Shared my phone number.
Its been over a year since I was anle to attend the in-person group meetings, which really saved my sanity if not my life.
I now work the night meetings are on, so I make do by reading this forum every day. I still get calls from the phone list and I always take the moment to connect with who ever is calling me.
I read- I keep informed- I practice the steps daily in all my affairs, to the best part of my ability. I try not to judge others, be kinder to them and myself. I am open, authentic and forever grateful not for addiction (NEVER) but for all I have learnt and all I know now I still need to learn:)
Tyflms Susan

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Post by vscook » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 am

Working my program means reading the daily SESH, journaling, praying/meditating, working the steps with my sponsor, and attending at least one meeting per week.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Post by Ma1954 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 am

Working my program to me is a lot of prayer. Coming and sharing in this forum (it has helped me the most). Going to meetings, I want to do more f2f. Reading naranon 36 and the sesh book. Sue
Sick and tired of being sick and tired

lbogie
option_firstname: Lois

Post by lbogie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Great post!

For me, "working my program" is trying to use the tools I've gathered along the way. I continue to learn every single day.
Some of my favorites are:

The Serenity Prayer (over and over and over all day long)
Daily reader
Prayer of Thanksgiving and asking for the Ability to carry out what is put before me.
Learning to use duct tape (need a new roll), staying out of others' business, trying to not take things so personally.
Reading posts and replying when I feel the need to share my Experience, Strength and Hope
Service work, chairing meetings allows me to choose a topic and guide us all in fellowship
Fellowship - Driving to meet friends from here for lunches
Conventions - Once a year for the past 4 years, I've attended the East Coast Regional Convention, held near Philadelphia.
I keep in touch with my Sponsor and other friends via the forum, texts, emails, phone calls, other social media.......
I NEED and want to start journaling.....it helps!
The slogans..................so many I apply to my daily living.
I keep coming back.......................for ME!
Hugs,
Lois
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Jade11
option_firstname:

Post by Jade11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you for this great post. As a newbie I often think about what "working my program" means.
For me it means reading daily (SESH, codependency book/workbook), reading the 12 steps once a day, coming here to read, share and attend meetings, daily prayer, journaling, seeing my counselor, finding joy in my day by doing at least one thing I love, just for me. I would like to attend more meetings both here and F2F.

janiemarie
option_firstname:

Post by janiemarie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 am

Using and honing and practicing all the tools in my naranon toolbox sums up working my program for me.
In ALL areas of my life!
I need to be vigilant in keeping the tools clean and sharp
So they don't fall by the wayside and rust.
And as I move along in my program I keep upgrading to a bigger and bigger toolbox to be able to hold all the wonderful tools I've amassed!
Isn't it wonderful!
“And this too, shall pass away.” How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!”
--- Abraham Lincoln

judyg
option_firstname:

Post by judyg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

"Practicing these principles in all my affairs" to me means keeping the steps and traditions in mind at all times and

minding my own business
giving others the dignity of living their lives without my interference
practicing mindful gratitude
living life on life's terms
knowing, in good times and in bad, I can't, He can, I need to let Him
loving unconditionally

It works if you work it!

Judy

endoftheroad
option_firstname: Susan

Post by endoftheroad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 am

I have to think back 30 plus years to think of "working a program". We did not have these words then! I began in NA as an addict.
I knew I was at my end, the same feeling I had when I joined Naranon because my darling addicted son had driven me around the bend.

Begin at the beginning. The work first starts when we admit that We are Powerless over addiction. Step 1. The Steps are written.

Read the Big Book, get the Naranon 36 and read the 12 Steps to Recovery.

Attend Face to Face meetings and take phone numbers of people to call when you feel out of your mind.

Working a program simply means taking advantage of all of your resources to help you out of a crisis.

Begin slowly and without being overwhelmed by everyone else's advanced "recovery". Gad, what a long road that is!

Take it easy, love the little you that is hiding in there! Be a little brave. The rest will come. it is the easier softer way! ox.
This is the easier softer way.....

linda.f
option_firstname:

Post by linda.f » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for a great post.

To stay humble and remind myself I will always be a work in progress.
Remain teachable, attend meetings and that means engaging in other support
groups such as Al-Anon, Families Anonymous, NA & AA, reach out, chair, sponsor,
service, conventions and stay active with the forum. Keep the focus on me and
always try to keep it simple which is the hardest part of my program!
Live-love-laugh

Linda.f