Hello again

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Nulife2015
option_firstname:

Hello again

Post by Nulife2015 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 pm

It's been about 6 months since I have posted. I am so grateful for the peace I have in my life. My daughter has been in recovery for 2 years. When I came to this site, I was broken and ready to give up on my daughter and on myself. I came to Naranon to learn how to accept that my life would never change and to accept the fact that my daughter would never recover. I gained strength from you, my f2f meeting and my sponsor whom I met on this site. I learned to detach with love and I learned that my life was worth saving. Many times while my daughter was in active addiction, she told me to save myself. In the process of saving myself, I learned to stop enabling and to give everything over to my higher power. My daughter has thanked me many times for finally saying NO to her. I never thought we could have a relationship again, but it's amazing how close we have become after 15 years of active addiction. Remember that there is hope, people do recover.
Now, if only my brother who has been an alcoholic for 40 years would seek recovery.......

MarieW
option_firstname:

Re: Hello again

Post by MarieW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Thank you for sharing your story of hope. Yes, recovery is possible, for our addicted loved ones and for us. But it takes work and commitment, and a little help from our (program) friends!

Keep coming back.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Post by hopefulNE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:37 am

Glad to hear that your daughter is in recovery, JFT.
So true that people can and do recover. And that we can find peace and serenity regardless of how our ALOs are doing.
Very inspirational.
TYFS.
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

endoftheroad
option_firstname: Susan

Post by endoftheroad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 am

So wonderful to hear your story of recovery for you and your daughter! You bring so much hope to so many!

Blessings! Susan
This is the easier softer way.....

whitedove
option_firstname:

Post by whitedove » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

Thank you for a story of hope. This morning I was looking for JUST ONE story that recovery for our addict is possible....and there you were....I came to this board ready to post a request for such a story...no need...you were there when I needed you....a godwink.....I think so...bless you and your daughter

Jade11
option_firstname:

Post by Jade11 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm glad your daughter is in recovery JFT and that you are taking care of you. TYFS!