What addiction has taught me (so far)

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

whitedove
option_firstname:

What addiction has taught me (so far)

Post by whitedove » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Today I felt broken so I retreated to a hot bath and talk radio.
Featured was a psychologist talking about how to listen, how to connect to other's emotions and the crippling effects of shame
It spoke to me....I believe my AS is struggling with deep shame...somehow shame drove him to use drugs...now shame keeps him mired where he is...Shame because he was a perfectionist...he feels he has failed in so many ways

A benedictine monk was the next guest....explained prayer in a way I connected with...explained meditation....
Both were Godwinks to me...Addiction taught me to look for the godwinks...in life and on this forum...I needed to hear these programs...I was where I should be at that moment

Addictions has taught me that everything is so fragile and control is an illusion...BUT...I can control the small things...it makes me happy to have a tidy house and a clean fridge..lol!...pink toenails and hot baths are sometimes all I can hang onto...after many years of denial I bought a new living room set...I finally gave myself permission...cause I deserve it!

Addiction has taught me that it wasn't my fault this happened (boy that was a tough one for me to learn....I am the Queen of coulda..woulda...shoulda) That I did great by my family all these years...the best I could...and I deserve happiness and calm

Addiction taught me that I have no right to judge others WHATSOEVER....we are all broken in some large or small way

Addiction taught me that I was sent the best friend anyone could hope for...I love her dearly...she often says that when we met (it was later in life) that I was sent to save her....HA!...she was sent to save me

Addictions allowed me to find this forum...to understand what was happening to us was not unique...to come here when I need a shoulder, or to vent or to cry...or to simply be

Suejan
option_firstname: Susan

Re: What addiction has taught me (so far)

Post by Suejan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 am

Such a meaningful share- thank you
Susan

belkar1
option_firstname: Carmen

Post by belkar1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:35 am

Thank You for your share.

This program does work, if you want it to.

Love
Belkar

endoftheroad
option_firstname: Susan

Post by endoftheroad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 am

A sublime share!

Such a wonderful image of your hot bath and listening to Benedictine Monks. We are so teachable.

I would never give addiction the honor of helping me to live better, but I will say that my personal suffering coming from the insanity of my ALO led me to work the 12 Steps and then has given me a template for life.

Blessings to you!
This is the easier softer way.....

Jade11
option_firstname:

Post by Jade11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 pm

A hot bath, pink toenails.... sometimes that's the highlight of my day and I'm grateful for it. :)

Dealing with my RAH's addiction pushed me to this program, and through it I'm learning I am strong, I am capable of amazing things.
One day at a time! TYFS!