Happy Thanksgiving

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Happy Thanksgiving

Post by hopefulNE » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 am

Reflecting on all I am thankful for this day...
Thankful that on Thanksgiving morning, five years ago, I crawled into this room alone, tearful and fearful, and found a whole community of others who really get it...no longer alone, never again.
Thankful that, even though "life on life's terms" has often interfered with my time etc., I have kept coming back.
Thankful for this community and all I have learned from each and every one of you.
Thankful that, even from the darkest depths of addiction, our HP (God for me) can and does allow good things to grow.
Thankful for the extended family with whom I spent the day.
And thank you for listening!
What are you thankful for?
Serenity, courage and wisdom to you all,
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by vscook » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 am

My AD asked me what I was thankful for today. I could have said the usual friends and family answer, but that seemed trite. What I am truly, truly grateful for is this forum and my program. My life is not perfect, but I was able to enjoy a peaceful holiday with my daughter. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Post by Ma1954 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:37 am

Happy Thanksgiving!
Sick and tired of being sick and tired

MATT'S MOM
option_firstname: Sue

Post by MATT'S MOM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:50 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
I am thankful for a good relaxing day with my husband, son & extended family. I am thankful for a warm home, food on the table, and interesting conversation with a group of my niece's friends from college who shared the meal with all of us.
I am thankful for my f2f group who met on Tuesday night and for our wonderful group here on the Forum. It is good to know that we have friends all over the world who understand and love us!

IsaJ26
option_firstname:

Post by IsaJ26 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 am

great reminder, tyfs. There's always something to be thankful for and it helps us to focus on the good in life and pulls us out of the things that are weighing us down.

DeanW
option_firstname:

Post by DeanW » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 am

Lowering expectations and better yet - just throwing expectations out of your life altogether - well, that makes holidays easier for me. I love being with my kids and seeing them together - but, not having my son present is like an arrow through my heart. I would feel the same way about any of them. But, "it is what it is"....obviously, it is something I cannot change.

Fun seeing the relationship my youngest daughter has with her husband. Reminds me of my hubby and me when we were young....and that's a great memory. My grandsons are always a joy - my heart is with them always - and my other daughter was involved and helpful - doing well in her classes.

My husband did a hilarious "What I am Thankful for" - and, that took a lot of the seriousness away.

Health and happiness remains my wish. Happy Thanksgiving!

linda.f
option_firstname:

Post by linda.f » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:02 am

Thankful for no drama.
Having my daughter home from college.
Having my son clean and sober and visiting
with one of his sponsees (who by the way is
from Baltimore and his mom is a Nar-Anon
member. Just think she could be a member
of this forum :) . )
Live-love-laugh

Linda.f

LKSG8R
option_firstname:

Post by LKSG8R » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 am

Thankful that, because of this forum, I spent yesterday enjoying family and friends instead of allowing their happiness to turn me into a green eyed monster.

Lisa
Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Sandra1947
option_firstname: Sandy

Post by Sandra1947 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, we had a great day yesterday. Thankfully there was no drama, had a nice day with RAD? and her children. Our grandchildren made everything except the turkey. Hope you all had a nice day! I am most thankful for my forum family of choice! Sandy
Sandra

The longest journey starts with the first step.

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Thankful that I found this group of people that understand completely what I say and what I am feeling any given day, even when I don't always understand it.
Thankful that JFT my son is a responsible, contributing member of society and even though he is on MAT he is in my book in recovery.
Thankful for my grand kids who I could just stare at for hours. Children are so innocent and don't carry any of the burdens we develop throughout our lives.
Thanks for helping us to recognize that gratitude is one of the most important things in life Pat
Love, Donna

wheretoturn
option_firstname:

Post by wheretoturn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 am

I hope everyone had the nicest Thanksgiving possible considering all....
I had a very good Thanksgiving, having spent the night before with my daughter and granddaughter, and her husband and stepdaughter. We sat around the kitchen table on Wednesday night, the 4 of us, minus the son-in-law who tried to hear tv over our conversation, talking and catching up with each other. My granddaughter is a year and half away from being a pharmacist. The conversation still always turns to my AS, and she was saying that she is studying about that in school right now, and also about bipolar.

Thanksgiving was drama free, and that is a blessing.

I am most thankful for my family, and for this group. I am starting all over with my program, but this time I hope to complete the steps and stay on here for the rest of my life. I have made the choice after just a little reading in the step book, to let go of my AS. I had backslid a long way, but I know I have to let go and let God. He is certainly an adult, and I know he has the tools to stay clean if he will just use them. If he doesn't he will just have to pay the consequences. My days of going to get him, even with his fiance have to be over. I have to let her know kindly, that I can't help rescue him anymore. I refuse to go back in those drug areas that are unsafe, and risk getting shot.She will have to make her own decision about living with an addict. She left an AH after ten years of marriage, so she understands what she is dealing with.

I have given 30 years of my life trying to save him, and his best years were when I let him go. When he saw me starting to work my own program in 2012, he started making changes. Somewhere along the way, we both lost our way! His addiction affected me so much because I had guardianship of his son, my grandson, and I guess I tried to make it better for him. I have to say my grandson learned to deal with his dad's addiction much better than I ever have!! I need to work on repairing relationships with the other children that took a back seat to the AS.

Have a great weekend everyone, and hope to see you in meetings and on here.

Vicki

MarieW
option_firstname:

Post by MarieW » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 pm

I am thankful that, because of this program, I was able to enjoy the day with my son with no expectations or drama. Just for today, he is clean and working. This was the first time in years that he was able to come to Thanksgiving dinner. In the past, he was in jail or working at a restaurant that was open for Thanksgiving. We had a very small dinner, just me, my son and daughter (their father declined my invitation). But it was nice.

Keep coming back.
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.