New to forum

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Rj1
option_firstname:

New to forum

Post by Rj1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:02 pm

My youngest daughter is 22 and has been an addict for over 7 years. As a parent have tried everything it seems like and things only get worse. I was an enabler for many years. She chose to move out rather than have us administer her anxiety meds. She is now living at an addicts house and is threatening to flee town. I'm afraid she will disappear. I'm afraid she will reappear. Her choice of drugs is a combo of benzos and subutex or occasionally heroin. I feel despair slowly surrounding me and threatening to take me under. My dreams are filled with confusion and of losing my ability to think. I am a person of faith and I don't blame God but I feel I am losing this battle. Every time I've had hope it gets destroyed by something worse. I know no one can fix this for me but I m looking for some way out of this. I still cannot believe this has happened to us. My heart has been broken and broken and broken...

wheretoturn
option_firstname:

Re: New to forum

Post by wheretoturn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm

So glad you are here. You have come to the right place. Although we do not offer advice, we share our own experiences with the addict in our lives. You never have to feel alone again!
I have recently come back onto the forum, and I wish I would never have left. There is so much help on here. There are three online meetings a week on here, and there is one tonight at 8 pm EST. You should find the guidelines of the meeting on here.
When I first joined in 2012 I was much sicker than my AS. I had enabled him for so many years that I was broken, mentally, physically and financially. This group helped save my life.

Keep coming back. Hope to see you at a meeting!

Vicki

Rj1
option_firstname:

Post by Rj1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Ok. Thank you!

Meemaw
option_firstname: Lisa

Post by Meemaw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:02 pm

I am so sorry for you pain

I too have a AD, she has been using since she was 14 and is now 34 with 2 children that are not with her now. When I first came to this forum, just a month ago, "i" was totally out of control. Trying to control my AD was impossible but I was sure trying which was killing me emotionally and physically. I got so bad I was following her around, I even went to her home and threw out the dealers that were there (crazy, they could have killed me!) but I was disparate to save my daughter. Since coming here, going to f2f meeting and reading,reading,reading "I" am getting better, I am learning to focus on "me". It was sort of a relief to know that I can't control her, I can't change her, only she can change her and at this point my only job is to love her (not enable her). I am no where near perfect but I am better, keep coming back ❤️