Life vs Death

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

IsaJ26
option_firstname:

Life vs Death

Post by IsaJ26 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

In a rare moment of being able to be still and enjoy quiet, I thought of a dear friend of mine. She passed away two months ago after a 3 year battle with cancer. After her diagnosis, she did all of the usual things in trying to beat this. After it became apparent, that things just didn't look hopeful (even though she and all around her remained hopeful), she began a different approach. She embraced life in the face of her death. She continued to surround herself with friends and loved ones. She traveled to her favorite places. She enjoyed nature, animals and music...all of her favorite things. In the face of death...she embraced life. While we grieve her not being with us, we take comfort that she is now truly free. Then I thought of my ALO's. The stark contrast between how their life is compared to my friend's. They have no life. Nothing about them has any life in it. Nothing vital, no emotional life, no purpose seemingly (they just have forgot or can't see that they have a purpose). They have no enjoyment of anything. They cut themselves off from everybody who cares about them.Those of us on the sidelines are grieving them even though they are still here. Every situation that arises and they throw it on our steps in hopes that we'll take care of it, is like death slapping us on the heart. It's hard enough to grieve someone when they pass, but God gives us what we need daily to do that....but to have to grieve someone who is still alive (at least in body), that's too much for anyone. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but that's what I got yesterday.