What a Week

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

mtbr
option_firstname:

What a Week

Post by mtbr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 am

This has been a week that I never, ever, ever hope to repeat. My husband's friend of over 40 years died suddenly from a heart attack last Friday. On Tuesday, a friend's nephew died after being found on the streets in a nearby city. On Wednesday, while I was dressing to go to the wake for our friend, my mother called to say that she has been diagnosed with a mass that is most likely ovarian cancer and that my brother's stepdaughter was in the morgue of the same nearby city, having been found unresponsive on the streets. Yesterday, another friend's nephew was taken off life support. Four deaths, three directly related to addiction and one just out of the blue.

Were it not for working this program, I know I would be in a much worse place than I am right now. I would definitely be projecting that maybe my son has relapsed again and is once again visiting the streets of that nearby city. I would have stared most intently into his eyes to check his pupils at the wake, instead of being so very grateful that he was present. I would have tried to figure out how to check his arms for track marks, despite the fact that he was in a suit. I know that crazy thinking...I did it for years and I cannot/will not allow myself to fall back. If I do, I will just have to start over with Step 1, and that's not such a bad thing.

I read and read and read Nar-Anon literature, especially Progress Not Perfection. I prayed that the survivors will find strength. My mother has had 88 wonderful years. If the tumor is what the original diagnosis says it is, then we'll deal with whatever comes next. Truly one day at a time.

And, I thank my HP for allowing me to experience the sadness of this week now and not 3 years ago, when I probably would have curled up in a ball, wept uncontrollably, and screamed that life isn't fair. Well, I've learned that life isn't always "fair." I can't control the universe. I'm not that powerful. I can only control me.

Thank you for listening/reading. May we all continue to work the steps and heal.
Terri

Suejan
option_firstname: Susan

Re: What a Week

Post by Suejan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Im so sorry for all the loss, and your mothers diagnosis. Prayers for all and thank God for your coping skills! I saw my mother through breast cancer in her seventies, she is now 80 and over the 5 year survival rate, so even at that age there is hope:)
Susan

wheretoturn
option_firstname:

Post by wheretoturn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 pm

So sorry for your losses and heartbreaking news this week. It is so encouraging to hear how this program helped you to get thru all of that in one week.
I certainly hope this next week will be much better for you!!
wheretoturn (Vicki)

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:36 pm

So sorry - so much pain in one week.
Thank God for program. Surely, in all our affairs we have those tools.
Sending you love and support and certainly prayers for a peaceful week.
Love, Donna

DesertFlower
option_firstname:

Post by DesertFlower » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:54 pm

My heart goes out to you for your losses. You acknowledge that a few years ago you would've been dealing with it completely different. One day at a time is certainly the way to walk.
I'm praying for you and your loved ones.
Hugs....
The only constant in life.... is change.

Ronni
option_firstname: Ronni

Post by Ronni » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 am

Oh my gosh, so many losses in a single week! My heart goes out to you. <3

I admire your strength, and your acceptance. Sending you hugs and love.
My son's addiction is something that happened TO HIM. It is NOT something he did TO ME.

lbogie
option_firstname: Lois

Post by lbogie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Terri, I am so very sorry to hear of all the loss, heartbreaking news and everything going on in and around your life. No, life is not fair. That is a fact. It's so true, without this Program, I too, would be a wreck with everything in our lives we simply just can not control and have to accept. My Heart is with you. Hugs, Lois
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

MarieW
option_firstname:

Post by MarieW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Oh, my. That is a lot to handle in a short time. Be gently with yourself and indulge in an extra helping of self-care.

Hugs
The only wrong way to work this program is to not work it.

Marianne
option_firstname:

Post by Marianne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Oh my Terri. So many losses and bad news in a short period of time.

I am glad you have your program to help you deal with everything that has happened this week. What a blessing it is that we have the tools to get through times like this. Life on Life's terms is not always easy.

Sending lots of prayers and strength your way.

Hugs,
Marianne
"Acceptance of what is does not mean liking it as it is." ~ Iyanla Van Zant

Daughter of the King
option_firstname:

Post by Daughter of the King » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 am

I'm thinking of you.....
This is certainly a lot to process, my heart feels for you. Your ESH is certainly a testament to practicing the principles of the program!
You are a special woman and your inner strength is shining through. ODAT my friend!

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Post by hopefulNE » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:35 am

Terri,
OMG, the week from hell. Everything all at once...it can be overwhelming.
Such wisdom and strength in your share. Just what I needed to hear tonight.
Hugs & prayers,
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

Ma1954
option_firstname:

Post by Ma1954 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 am

So sorry for all of those losses. It's hard to wrap my head around that. So sorry. :(
Sick and tired of being sick and tired

MATT'S MOM
option_firstname: Sue

Post by MATT'S MOM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 am

so much to deal with. Praying for continued strength for you.
Hugs, Sue

linda.f
option_firstname:

Post by linda.f » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:36 am

Life on life's term and sometimes that means we carry a
bigger load. It is a lot to take in. I am sorry you are having
to deal with so many losses at this time in your life.

Be easy on yourself and keep reaching out. I will keep you
in my prayers.

Stay close.
Live-love-laugh

Linda.f