Monday, 11/13 Online Meeting Topic: Why we keep coming back.

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Knappster
option_firstname: Joan

Monday, 11/13 Online Meeting Topic: Why we keep coming back.

Post by Knappster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Date and Time of Meeting: Monday, November 13 8 p.m. Eastern time
Meeting topic: Why we keep coming back.
Discussion leader: Joan

I remember walking into my first 12 step meeting (Al-Alon at that point in time). I thought, ok, I'll attend one meeting and learn how to fix my son with his alcohol addiction, everything will be fine and I won't have to go back. I let time go by until he moved on to hard drugs. Little did I know that I couldn't fix him, I couldn't cure his addiction, but I sure tried. It wasn't until I came to these online meetings (there are no Nar-Anon meetings near me), this wonderful site and wonderful people, started working the steps and started reading literature that I found there is a better way to live and Nar-Anon is teaching me that. I learned that detaching doesn't mean we don't love our addict, it means we can stop trying to change them. I learned we can take what helps us, leave the rest and recover at our own pace and our addicts can recover at their pace. When we keep coming back and work the program, Nar-Anon gives us tools to guide us in finding peace and serenity. One thing I remember about attending face to face meetings is at the end, they hold hands and repeat," Keep coming back, it works if you work it." It is so true, it does work if you work it and always keep coming back!

Please join us Monday night to discuss why you keep coming back and how the Nar-Anon program is working for you.

Access information:

Simply click on Online Meeting icon to access Chat room.

PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION SO THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE MEETING GUIDELINES:

Once the meeting has opened, we only read from or talk about conference approved literature which can be found on the literature order form from WSO at nar-anon.org.

Anything you hear tonight is strictly our own opinion. The principles of Nar-Anon are found in our Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. If a member says something here that you cannot accept – remember he or she is speaking from their own experience, they are not speaking for Nar-Anon. When you leave our meeting, take home those thoughts that will be most helpful to you, forget those you feel will not be helpful, and keep coming back.

We ask that you speak only as a member of Nar-Anon.

Please read and become familiar with the 12 Steps, Traditions and Concepts and posted under Announcements in the Nar-Anon Family Forum. It it is important to understand the principles of this program.

The following are some important guidelines that will help you get the most out of the meeting.

The meeting today will last between 1 hour and 1-1/2 hours.

If you need to leave the meeting early, please try to leave after an individual has completed their share to minimize interruption.

In Nar Anon meetings, we do not engage in CROSSTALK. Personal progress for the greatest number depends on unity, so we take turns sharing our own experience, strength and hope; we do not interrupt each other or engage in dialogue (either directly or through private messages); we do not put the spotlight on just one member; we do not give advice, offer solutions, or try to rescue one another. we do not offer our personal opinions, criticize or judge anyone.

What is CROSSTALK? It is talking across the group to or with a specific individual. For the purposes of our online meeting, crosstalk refers to interrupting an individual while they are sharing with any typed comment.

It also refers to private messaging between individuals. It is important that we allow everyone the opportunity to engage in the meeting without the distraction of private messages.

By patiently listening, we show respect for each other and our concern for the common welfare of the group. Loving interchange can occur outside the meeting time via one-on-one or group conversations, e-mail, telephone and sponsorship and staying after the meeting for open chat.

To participate and share in the online meeting we follow these guidelines for sharing:

To share, type “!” and wait to be recognized by the discussion leader.

In fairness to all who wish to share today, please keep your sharing to 3 – 5 minutes of typing. Once you are finished sharing, please type “done” so we are aware you have concluded your share.

To avoid any crosstalk, advice or feedback when an individual has completed their share and allow time for all who wish to share today, please limit your responses to a simple TYFS and a few brief kind words of recovery related support and encouragement.

lbogie
option_firstname: Lois

Re: Monday, 11/13 Online Meeting Topic: Why we keep coming back.

Post by lbogie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

Bump Great Topic!!
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Knappster
option_firstname: Joan

Re: Monday, 11/13 Online Meeting Topic: Why we keep coming back.

Post by Knappster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Bump