Newbie & NA open meetings

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Jade11
option_firstname:

Newbie & NA open meetings

Post by Jade11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello all. I'm Jade and I'm happy to be here. :)
I haven't posted before so I feel a short background is in order. I'm 37, married to my AH, with kids. My AH is two months out of inpatient rehab. It was his third bout of inpatient treatment. We're working on recovery, separate and together.
I'm trying to follow the 5 Gs: Get off their backs, Get out of the way, Get on with my life, Get to meetings, Give it to God! The hardest "G" for me is getting to Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings. I have social anxiety and going to a meeting makes me so nervous. :?

Last week I went to a NA open speaker meeting. My husband invited me to go. I was very anxious before going, too. I didn't know what to expect. I have been feeling pretty peaceful lately and I was afraid the speaker (recovering addict) would say something that would make me cry, have a flashback, or make the old emotions return. Like anxiety, fear, worry. The entire week leading up to the meeting I did what I've always done. In my head I planned out escape routes to get out of attending. Lol. I always regret doing that but I do it. Thank God I kept those thoughts to myself. And when Friday night came around, I got dressed, gave last instructions to the babysitter, got in the car with my husband. As he was driving I realized it was too late to back out. :lol: I admitted to him I was nervous and he smiled at me and said, 'Why be nervous? They're just people!' Lol.

I'm so glad I went. The meeting was inspiring and the members were welcoming. It was also my husband's first open meeting. Yes, listening to the speaker, there were a few times I felt like crying. That's not a bad thing and I felt so thankful to him for sharing his story. I appreciate I learned a little more about my husband and his addiction. I was glad being able to witness people in recovery and see the joy in their fellowship. And I appreciate my husband inviting me to be involved in his recovery.
Now my goal is to get up the nerve to attend a F2F Al-Anon meeting again!

lbogie
option_firstname: Lois

Re: Newbie & NA open meetings

Post by lbogie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Welcome! So glad you found us.
We have meetings online right here Sun., Mon., Wed. at 8pm est. Click on the online meeting link, upper left of screen and join us if you like.
No anxiety here, no judgment either. Just healthy heartwarming support, like no other. Everyone welcome.
Hugs, Lois
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Jade11
option_firstname:

Re: Newbie & NA open meetings

Post by Jade11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you, Lois. Great meeting last night. I am learning so much reading and listening to everyone's ESH. <3