Self care...What did you do this week?

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Self care...What did you do this week?

Post by hopefulNE » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am

Hello friends,
If you are like me, your needs have traditionally come at the bottom of the list, after everything and everyone else is taken care of.
This is not right! Self care is not selfish! As the flight attendant tells us, first put your own oxygen mask on, and then care for the one you are traveling with.
So I will share my self care story.
My weekly yoga class is one of the pillars of my self care. During the past year I have missed a LOT of classes, due to life on life's terms: work, death of two close family members and responsibility for winding up their affairs, helping with beloved grandchild, etc, etc.
But this fall things are winding down a bit, and I did a reality check...this yoga class is 1.25 hours a week, and I WILL make time for it.
So tonight I clocked out of work, shut off my phone, had an amazing yoga class, and I feel great! What a wonderful way to start the weekend. I feel much better prepared for whatever life throws at me next. I WILL continue to make time for this, each and every week.
What have you done to take care of yourself this week? Please share.
TYFL,
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

MATT'S MOM
option_firstname: Sue

Re: Self care...What did you do this week?

Post by MATT'S MOM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:37 am

It's been a long year so far for me and my family. Not getting to spend much time with my husband due to work reasons. We finally had a vacation day to spend together yesterday. We took a trip to Mt Pocono. As we walked around the top of the mountain, I breathed in the clear clean air and exhaled all of the other stuff that has been happening to us and our family. The time spent on the mountain top was wonderful and just what I needed to clear out my head and quiet my mind. I didn't want to come back down the mountain, but I did and I feel so much more refreshed and alive for having had the experience.

Ronni
option_firstname: Ronni

Post by Ronni » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 am

Cool. Great topic!

I'm a ballroom dancer, so my self care includes several hours of dancing most every week, usually on a Friday night at the studio I've been going to for years. An evening of social dancing cures most ills! ;)

I love to eat out. Don't do it often because I don't make a lot of money, but about once a month I have a yummy meal at a favorite restaurant. Just last night actually a friend and I went to this amazing Sushi place and I had my favorite sushi and a beer. Good food, good conversation, great night!

I love pedicures. Again, because of not much money, I can't make it a regular thing. But every so often I'll splurge and go sit for an hour and get pampered. It's hard to not fall asleep because it's so relaxing for me.

Something that is a daily priority for me is to carve out a bit of time to just relax. I have a busy work schedule and an active home life, and for so long I'd go go go and then finally just fall into bed at night exhausted. Now though, I make sure that there's some downtime in between all the stuff I have to do, and bedtime. Sometimes I'll watch a TV show, sometimes I'll read, sometimes play a game on my phone or tablet, whatever I feel like. It's just really nice to wind down from my busy life before bed every night with a half hour or more of ME time. Even if I get a bit less sleep as a result, I still feel better the next day.
My son's addiction is something that happened TO HIM. It is NOT something he did TO ME.

LKSG8R
option_firstname:

Post by LKSG8R » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am

Great topic! I am looking forward to what everyone has to say. I didn't do much self care this week because of work, but overall I am making progress in this area. Workaholic that I am, it has been very easy to skip self care and assume the role of martyr. This is one of the areas that I now recognize I have the power to change.

Although self care for me will include indulging in me time (haircut, massage, etc.), my biggest goal for self care is to start stickup for myself. Ask for what I need. Believe that I deserve better than what I am currently experiencing. Say no and mean it. Those are the real ways I can take care of myself.

Thanks for the topic. I love it!
Lisa
Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

vscook
option_firstname: Vicki

Post by vscook » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 am

Two things that I try to do on a daily basis: 1) walk my dog - it gets me outside, gives me some exercise, and helps relive stress. 2) mindfulness meditation - I have been using an app on my phone to do meditation once or twice a day. I really like the guided meditation. I only do it for 10 minutes at a time, which makes it easily to slip into my day.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

slm219
option_firstname: Sharon

Post by slm219 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Pat
Great idea!

My dogs (3) bring me joy everyday and keep me moving. My one dog, I do the most with (Rottweiler)....we do herding, lessons for competitive obedience and lots of practicing in between. This week I really did not feel like doing much....and he was the biggest pest....constantly looking at me.....like Mom....come on...lets do something! Yesterday I got back into the groove and he was awesome and so happy........it was a beautiful day and he made me enjoy it!!!!
Hugs,
Sharon
Even a small star shines in the darkness.

lorinow
option_firstname: Lori

Post by lorinow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:57 am

Great topic.

I have a personal "self care list" that I have printed out and have in a small frame on the kitchen counter.

It seems when I am doing ok, the list is just a reminder. However when I am in a funk, I tend to not remember how to get back to being ok. At those times, the list is a huge help (although I find at those times, even doing the easy things on the list is difficult.)

My list: two things I don't want to do; take my vitamins; tidy up; do the dishes; drink water; eat a real dinner; fruit for breakfast; wellness/motivational cd's in car; meditate; call a friend; exercise; shower; pet time; etc...

Hugs,
Lori

ktoews
option_firstname: kim

Post by ktoews » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 pm

great topic - staying in the solution with self-care near top of list. After an extremely stressful week with my AS, I went to work the next day - also lean towards the workaholic variety ;) . I realized how terribly stressed I was at work, kinda shaky and near tears a few times, so I took the next day off from office. Worked a bit at home. I met with my new sponsor, enjoyed her company and made a plan for continued, regular support from her. It was a great, quiet day. I continue to run and walk in nature daily, and visit the lake most days. I also sent practised gratitude by emailing my gratitudes buddies. I snuggled with my dog in the evening, and looked up information on an exotic place I hope to travel to - Morocco.

4me
option_firstname:

Post by 4me » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 pm

This week has been all about me and stuff I love doing!

Warm Epsom Salt baths, yoga - my Dr’s RX for my torn ligaments and COPD, meditation, cooking and Halloween fun!

For Halloween we are the house that even the littlest kids look forward to overcoming their fear of coming to. The years we didn’t do Halloween their parents told me how disappointed their kids were. I told them I missed doing it too. I love doing theatrical makeup and creating our haunted house. We’ve even got custom outdoor and indoor soundtracks. I am a wicked witch and I’ll be cackling away again this year! My mom’s in Florida and they can watch our front door fun on our Ring Doorbell live video. 🎃

Thanks for asking! So glad to see the all important self care we are all doing.
4me

Sandra1947
option_firstname: Sandy

Post by Sandra1947 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Since I am retired and don't have a car anymore I am home most of the time. However I have started going to a senior center from 10 AM to 2PM every Thursday. I get to chat with new "friends" and have a nice lunch and play games or do a creative activity. I get picked up and dropped off. I look forward to Thursdays now. So it might not seem like a lot but it helps to get away from the house and it's problems. The other things I do for myself is to come to meetings here and read the forums daily. Thanks for a great topic!
Sandra

The longest journey starts with the first step.

hopefulNE
option_firstname: Pat

Post by hopefulNE » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 pm

Wow!
TY all for sharing. Great ideas! More welcome. We can all learn so much from each other here.
That's why I love this forum and all of you who keep coming back to share.
TYFS,
Pat
"Keep Calm and Carry On" - British Ministry of Information, WWII

flash
option_firstname:

Post by flash » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 am

Thanks so much for reminding us that WE are important.
I have started another part time job and although it is a very holistic atmosphere I have lost some time that I used to use to take care of ME.
This reminder came just in time.
I was doing yoga and meditating more frequently and have let those slip.
I am now proclaiming that I will get back to it.
Thanks to you.
I am going to sign out right now and do a guided meditation.
One that I've missed doing.
Self Care -ahhhh - how important.
Thanks Again.
Love, Donna

lovingwife64
option_firstname:

Post by lovingwife64 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:08 am

This week. Nothing. But thank you for the reminders that we need to, and deserve to take care of ourselves!

My go to is mediation and reiki. I think I will schedule myself a reiki session and get back on track.

IsaJ26
option_firstname:

Post by IsaJ26 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm

The week was filled with madness, but I endured. Today however, I was still. First time in a long time. I focus on moments and one day at a time (or try to). I went to the store without rushing in fear that something happened while I was gone. Did not sit and walk around with the phone in my hand in case a crisis came up. I resisted the urge to call ALO to see if they were ok. Relaxed with a cup of coffee in the middle of the day. The biggest thing, I didn't feel guilty about enjoying these seemingly small things when I have no idea how my ALO's are right now. Sounds small, but after years of being on edge and in turmoil, it was nice.

kizzies1202
option_firstname: pat

Post by kizzies1202 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm

I wish I could say I took care of myself,I did not.My 32 year old son has been an addict for 15 years now.He goes on a binge every other week when he gets paid,payday was this week, he is not answering calls, and here I sit sick to my stomach again.This is my first time on this site and I need the support to help me get better.