It's Today - What are YOU grateful for?

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

mommalu
option_firstname:

It's Today - What are YOU grateful for?

Post by mommalu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Good Monday family!

Today, I am grateful for learning to TURN QUESTIONS AROUND.

When addiction hit my home, I sounded much like a 2 year old. Always asking WHY? :lol:

Why is he an addict?
Why is he doing things that hurt me?
Why is he stealing from me?
Why is he lying to me?
Why doesn't he love me enough to quit?
Why doesn't he just stop?
Why can't he see what he is doing to our family?

Why, why, why - those answers never came. I stayed stuck in that endless cycle of WHY??? with the total focus on HIM.

This program explained the why - but it took me years to fully accept the answer.
My answer was found in "About Addiction" (Blue Book).

"We have learned that addiction is an illness.
It is a physical, mental and spiritual disease that affects every area of life."

There came a point that I could no longer live in HIS "why." I had to start looking at MY "why".

My "why" included:
Why am I accepting his lies?
Why am I chasing after him?
Why am I trusting him?
Why am I being a detective (searching his cell phone, his wallet, his whereabouts)?
Why am I letting him control my life? My happiness?
Why am I accepting unacceptable behavior in my home? My life?
Why can't I learn to love myself?
Why can't I find peace, harmony and serenity in my life?

The answers to MY "why" questions came from working the guide to ME.
Once I started to shift my attention to MY "why's", I started to find MY answers.
This process all started with answering the questions to Step One.
My ah-ha moments came, as I answered question after question.
I received many more greater insights to MY "whys" when I aligned myself with a sponsor and other share partners.

I started with why I thought I had the power to cure, cause or control someone else.
What made me think that I had the ability to understand addiction, when smarter more educated people have tried?
I went on to why I had no Higher Power in my life.
I ventured into why I turned my back on the Higher Power of my childhood.
I humbled myself to ask why I couldn't trust myself or that there just might be a Power Greater that I could trust.
Why is it so hard for me to Let Go?
Why am I afraid of letting go?

It still amazes me that when I focus on the addict's "why" - my life unravels and becomes unmanageable.
When I focus on my life, my needs, my wants - life becomes just what it was meant to be - a journey with hills and valleys.

I no longer ask WHY other people do what they do. (Well maybe once in a while :oops: )
I now ask MY "whys" with people that understand, and have found a better way to live.
Why don't I find peace and serenity? I have found that peace in my life - and I work hard to keep a measure each day.

By working the ME program, I have a better way to do things today.
My relationships have changed and they feed my soul today.

Today, I am grateful for learning to TURN QUESTIONS AROUND.
I am finding my answers - one question at a time.

What are YOU grateful for today?

Lu

grateful
option_firstname:

Re: It's Today - What are YOU grateful for?

Post by grateful » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Good one! Thanks for taking the time to write this out for all of us. Appreciated its contents.

Today, I am grateful that program and experience has taught me that the best question to ask is a modified version of the 11th Step: "Put me where you want me. Show me what to do. What is Your will for me in this circumstance/situation/opportunity for growth." The question "why" never seems to have a bottom - much like the disease. The only way I can truly re-align myself with a balanced view of myself and my life truly comes from practicing that Step and following through on the guidance I receive.
Seek beauty