When Did You Start To Take Care of Yourself?

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Celestial

When Did You Start To Take Care of Yourself?

Post by Celestial » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am

Emotional pain is excruciating for me. I have a high tolerance for any other type of pain. I am not really taking the best of care of myself.

I have been working very hard during the season here and I am exhausted at the end of the week. I look forward to taking a nap on Saturday. BUT this is a warm weather climate and I feel lazy for not being outside and walking or swimming. (Guilt)

I shared before that on Fridays I am having wine and now it is Saturday night too.....Not Good at all. I realized I was doing that to have a break from worry and the buzz/high is like wearing rose colored glasses for a few hours. I am ashamed of this. (shame)

Eating sugar is totally out of control....it feels good temporarily but of course I hate the way I look. (remorse)

I have snapped a few times and I don't usually do that either.

The solution must be the opposite of what I am doing. Talking about it, the underlying pain and worry, asking God to set me straight. Oh yes.....Procrastination is a biggy too:(

grateful
option_firstname:

Re: When Did You Start To Take Care of Yourself?

Post by grateful » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:21 am

I have had a more than 50 year history of a disease that flares up whenever and wherever it does. After a terribly difficult flare while visiting Chicago for an overnight with a friend, I was very concerned. Wasn't even sure I could make it home. I was able to use some over the counter stuff that helped temporarily but I also knew that I had to find relief as the condition was worsening and my "out of the house" stuff was getting to be less and less due to the isolating flares of something I'd been seeing doctors for and trying different ways of managing this chronic and debilitating condition. I just didn't know what.

The day following my painful getting home journey, a friend put on-line her success with a low carb diet. I had been gaining weight, too, and trips to the gym, calorie reduction, etc didn't help. I decided to try this diet. The first day - no more pain, no more isolation, no more horrendous flares. It has been almost a year since I began it. I have lost more than 40 pounds and I'm still losing. I treat myself to junk food day once a week (except holidays), a popcorn treat, a kiddie cone.

What I learned when I made this lifestyle change was that I had been suffering with carb and food intolerances for years. Although I still have some times of discomfort and needing to stay home to take care of myself once in awhile, nothing like before. The less carbs I ate, the less my body craved sugar in its many forms. It was my body's DOC until I reached the end of my rope with chronic distress and weight gain, had no go to tools anymore and knew I needed some kind of help and waited for the healing message that came through my friend's share.

Applying Steps 1, 2, 3 worked even with this physical malady of mine when I applied them. The program tools can bring relief even for physical maladies. Might take time. Might need to keep doing what appears to be the next right step for me. Might need to be patient. But it does work.
Seek beauty

DeanW
option_firstname:

Post by DeanW » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 am

I like this question - When? How?

For me, I have to admit - I am a "just for today" person. Yesterday, I did indeed take care of myself and had a lovely Easter - full of laughter - which is what everyone needed. I took care of myself yesterday when I decided my husband needed to do more after I had spent the morning cooking - ha! Did not say a word to him - just took a LONG bubblebath and spent waay too much time getting ready. My back was starting to hurt and muscle spasms are a sign of stress. I didn't need that. Sure enough, he stepped up and did his part. Yesterday was a good day.

Today, I am also doing good - We're going on a short cruise the middle of May and I'm going shopping. This, BTW, is the FIRST trip we've taken without our grandsons in five years. Feeling a twinge of guilt about not taking them but I will get over that.

So, each day I wake up - and thanks to this board - I forget who posted - I put my feet on the floor and say, "Thank you!" - I want to live the rest of my life in a state of gratefulness for what I have instead of bitterness over what I do not...and I could go that direction easily.

I have my bad days and sometimes something equivalent to an addict's relapse...but, just like they have to do - I have to start over the next morning...doing the next right thing. God bless.

Editing to add: My husband was diagnosed suddenly as a diabetic and we just cut all the obvious sugar out - he ate so many cookies, etc...a sugarholic. I can take a bite of that coconut cake and love it and go on...he feels like he needs more of it. At any rate, the diagnosis scared him - he started eating right and walking 2 times a day. He lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks! He just told me this morning that he felt more energetic and in a better mood since he started the 'no sugar' and the walking. I do think it makes a huge difference - especially in times of stress.

nayr333
option_firstname:

Post by nayr333 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:10 pm

I had to learn. I remember after doing my 4th and 5th step really diving in and taking EXTREMELY good care of me!
My sponsor helped me set the stage and as I began to start to feel better, I read and read and read and really got into eating all natural foods, cutting out sugar, exercising, Yoga ( the list goes on )

Before I could begin to take care of me , I had to uncover why for so long I didn't think I was worth it.
I spent the first half of my life care taking and people pleasing.
Now I take care of me. I am a much more peaceful and happy person which actually the people I love benefit from too!

Baby steps.. start one day to just commit to drinking more water, then after a week or so, add another good habit, and so on.

Before you know it, you will be feeling awesome!

The best thing this program taught me is that MY LIFE matters too!
You are important and worth the time and effort it takes. ;)

Keep coming back
Love
Karen
Nothing changes if nothing changes, Let it begin with me.