HELP! Should I start a meeting?

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Jelly200
option_firstname:

HELP! Should I start a meeting?

Post by Jelly200 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:03 am

Hi everyone!

I have been a part of the recovery community for a few months now. I have gone to a few AlAnon meetings, and a few NarAnon meetings, and I am constantly reading and re-reading the literature and forums. I much prefer the NarAnon meetings to the AlAnon meetings as they seem to be much more tailored to my specific situation. I met some wonderful people when I attended and I would love to continue to attend them. Unfortunately, all of the NarAnon meetings are at least an hour away from where I live. I am interested in potentially starting a meeting in my area. I KNOW there is a HUGE number of people right in my back yard who could benefit from having a NarAnon meeting close to my area. I am certainly willing and I can follow directions, but I don't know what I am doing, and I don't want to do anything wrong! I am concerned that I am not experienced enough in the community to do this on my own. How much experience should one have when venturing into this territory? Has anyone done this before? What was your experience? Should I travel to attend more meetings to learn more before I attempt to do this, or should I jump in with two feet? Thanks for your thoughts!

lucky43
option_firstname:

Re: HELP! Should I start a meeting?

Post by lucky43 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:21 am

Hi!

I am going to defer to folks that have a lot more experience at this than I do for their ESH here.

I will just share with you that I had two years of Alanon and was going an hour once a week to a Naranon meeting. I just couldn't anymore so I jumped in feet first! Ordered my package from WSO, some literature, got a church to lend me a room for free once a week, put it on the website, sent out some packets to local courts, doctors, health/substance abuse places and went to sit and wait. I had one other person waiting at the church door at my first meeting and we've been sitting there growing and growing for four years now. It was the best, most perfect Higher Power thing I've ever done for myself and other family members that are coming in every week. You will never, ever regret it if you do decide to start one up!

Genny
"I pray that the first five minutes of each of my days to be good, peaceful and meditative."

roadrunner
option_firstname:

Post by roadrunner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi Jelly, When my ABF left, I knew I needed support. I had been attending an Al-Anon meeting, but I wanted Nar-Anon. I had only been to one nar-anon meeting about 1 hr. away. I needed it closer - never knew about Forum. It was hard to find another person to start a meeting, but eventually I did. I ordered literature (spent a fortune but got it all back) - hung posters, found a place, and opened the door. I waited - eventually they showed - I found the Forum about 2 months in, but F2F has been growing for 1 year now. Best thing I ever did - the people are great - taught me so so much - they learned so so much - we are all grateful. There is a link on starting a meeting on the website - how to. I found it later - ha,ha,ha. Good for you - go for it - HP will help along the way - just pray - there is lots of help out there - here. If you change one life, its worth it. Paula

grateful
option_firstname:

Post by grateful » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Congratulations! I love that you are choosing to research starting a meeting in your area! What a great gift of service you are willing to offer in your community.
Seek beauty

linda.f
option_firstname:

Post by linda.f » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:06 pm

YES!

When I started one, I made sure I could commit to at least six months.

We are here for you to help and guide you, all you have to do is reach out.
(You can pm me or others who are experienced with running meetings.)

Use the contact list if you need assistance.

You go girl!

xo
Live-love-laugh

Linda.f

Raina
option_firstname: Renee

Post by Raina » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Jelly, I'd love to hear occasional updates about your plans, as my situation is quite similar. Please keep us posted!
You are Braver than you Believe, Stronger than you Seem, & Smarter than you Think.
-Christopher Robin

Celestial

Post by Celestial » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 am

I contacted WSO twice and never heard back....maybe I will try again....we need more meetings here too:) Thank you for reminder

linda.f
option_firstname:

Post by linda.f » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:00 am

You can call them toll free: 1-800-477-6291 and they can send you info
on how to start a meeting.

Or go to their website: www.nar-anon.org they have on their website info
on how to start a meeting.

Good luck!
Live-love-laugh

Linda.f