Nar-Anon meetings in Idaho

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: Moderators

Sissy1961
option_firstname:

Nar-Anon meetings in Idaho

Post by Sissy1961 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 am

Hello,
I am trying to find a Nar-Anon meeting in Nampa/Boise,Idaho area and cannot even find the state of Idaho listed on the website!?
Any ideas for online education or podcast, or other types of meetings that I can attend? We are just beginning to get the family to meetings and our son in law into NA meetings. It's a difficult situation with abuse and addiction of prescription pain killers and alcohol. Our daughter has two sons that are 4yrs and 1yrs old..we ask prayers for their safety . Presently our son in-law is trying to stay clean by himself and has tried this before with relapses that put him in the hospital..so between the physical and financial losses..they are always in chaos. Needing prayers and guidance as we are trying to get help for ourselves and encourage the same for our daughter.

Tako
option_firstname:

Re: Nar-Anon meetings in Idaho

Post by Tako » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Welcome Sissy!

Unfortunately, no one in Idaho has stepped forward to bring Nar-Anon to your beautiful state: perhaps there are no addicts or families affected by them? :shock:

Fortunately, this forum is available to you and your daughter 24/7 and offers online chats, meetings and a phone support list. It's pretty amazing that Nar-Anon can reach out to families around the world via the Internet.

There's so much to learn from the Nar-Anon experience; we are the friends and families of addicts and we come together to support each other in the "spirit of unity." This program has saved my life and my sanity and that's why I stick around to offer the life saving program to others. Please let your daughter know that she's not alone, that there are other young wives who know the pain of loving a man who can't be there for her and who cannot be the father he should be. Please let her know that there are mothers, fathers, in-laws and siblings here that know what it feels like to love the same addict, but from a different perspective. Together we learn that we can hate the disease and yet still feel loving compassion for the addict who is obsessed with drugs.

Many of us become obsessed with "fixing" and "helping" the addict and that unhealthy relationship causes us to become sick too (e.g., obsessive, fearful, angry, exhausted, depressed).

We may not be at the church down the road from your house, but we're here and always with you!!!!

Keep coming back!

Tako

snarky39
option_firstname:

Post by snarky39 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm in Tennessee and don't have a Nar Anon meeting to go to either but I've still been able to work my recovery. I use the online meetings here for my Nar Anon meetings, there is at least one online every day and that combined with the forum posts, private messages, and phone contact list has helped me a lot. I also use a local Al Anon occasionally when I need a true F2F. The program is almost exactly the same and there is a lot of recovery to be found in that program. I checked the Al Anon website and there are several meetings in your area. I've sent you a PM with the link and hope that you make it to a meeting soon, either at Al Anon or here with us online.

river rock

Post by river rock » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:44 am

you sound like me. that's terrible Idaho is first or second in drug
addiction in the US. My state WV 3rd and they have the least meetings.
We have meetings on here every night. I come here and have for 3 + years.
Tonight is 8 pm est. click the chat icon at top of the page. Much support
and knowledge on here. Hope you keep coming.
Love river rock

bascobee
option_firstname:

Post by bascobee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi Sissy, I read your post awhile ago but wasn't up for responding. I to am from the same area (Boise) and have been frustrated myself that in a metropolitan area of this size with the drug problems we have that no Nar-anon meetings exist. We learned that our AS was addicted to opiates (oxycontin & heroin) April 1(no joke!) this year. I have looked into how to start a Nar-anon group in this area through the Nar-anon website. I posted a notice on Craigslist that I wanted to start one and received a response from one person. The point of all this is I don't want to do this on my own. If you are interested in helping to get one going, I'm willing to get the ball rolling. Since I'm new to this forum as well, I don't know how to go about us communicating with one another (that is, if you want to). Trying to find your name from the Members list is impossible. If you know how to do a private message and want to talk, let me know.

Thanks,
Mary

Trsigmja
option_firstname:

Post by Trsigmja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:16 am

Hi Mary,

I know 3 years has passed since you posted you would be willing to start a Nar-Anon meeting but I am hoping you still may be up for it. I live in West Boise and would really like to attend a Nar-Anon meeting regularly. I have been going to Al-Anon and it's helpful but I can't help but think Nar-anon would be more helpful. My 23 year old son is battling addiction and legal issues and I could use some help. I know of at least one other lady that would probably attend Nar-anon meetings as long as they were held on weekdays. I think we really need Nar-Anon meetings here in the Boise area. I don't feel strong enough myself to start one.

Sincerely,

Jodi

Jodie143
option_firstname: Jodie

Post by Jodie143 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 am

I would also be interested in starting and attending a Nar-Anon meeting. My son is a heroin addict and I could really use a good support group.

Thanks
Jodie

Heidi2017
option_firstname: Heidi

Post by Heidi2017 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Jodie and All,
I too am looking for a support group and was hoping to locate a nar anon meeting in the treasure valley. I would be willing to help as much as I could, my husband has been clean for 6 weeks after a couple of years of a meth addiction. Looking for something to help me navigate my emotions and believe nar anon would help.

Thank you,
Heidi

MATT'S MOM
option_firstname: Sue

Post by MATT'S MOM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Welcome! We have online meetings here Sun, Mon & Wed nights at 8pm Eastern time. To join in the meetings, just click on the Online Meeting tab at the top of the screen.

Heidi2017
option_firstname: Heidi

Post by Heidi2017 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 am

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

Heidi

SDIN2T
option_firstname: JR

Post by SDIN2T » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:27 am

You can go to http://www.nar-anon.org/find-a-meeting/ to see if a meeting exists in your area.

:JR
And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life - JK Rowling

Jodie143
option_firstname: Jodie

Post by Jodie143 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am

Heidi,

I ordered a New Group packet so now I just need to find a venue and get some members. Once I have secured a venue then I fill out the registration and send it to Nar Anon and they will list the meeting on their site which will hopefully bring new members. What is a good day and time for you to attend a meeting? I work during the day Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 so I would have to do it in the evenings or on a weekend. I have been attending NA meetings with my son for about ten months and I feel like I could really use some support. You tend to get so caught up in helping your loved one that you sometimes forget about helping yourself. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,
Jodie